Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #1

Has this ever happened to you?

Last night, went to see a movie. When I came out, I saw this big den on the left side of the rear bumper? Who ever did this just decided to take off. Just something I needed to start my week.

How do I reduce the file size of the photo? I tried to attach the photo of the damage but was not able to because the file size is too large.

Richard

Thanks SoCal!

Here is the pic:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a111/richardton/?action=view&current=Porsche002.jpg

Last edited by rctboxsters; 07-25-2005 at 09:22 PM.
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctboxsters
How do I reduce the file size of the photo? I tried to attach the photo of the damage but was not able to because the file size is too large.Richard
Photobucket is a free image hosting site (at least for the first several images). It allows you to reduce the size of the original image. Go to photobucket.com and upload your image there, then copy the URL from photobucket.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:29 AM   #3

Yep - had it happen to our TT

It even happened at a car show of all places! Someone caved in the passenger door and decided it would be cool to leave without saying anything. That sucks. But hey - in the end you have a Boxster and that is all that matters.
boxstter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:02 AM   #4

My hood and bumper got keyed last weekend at a movie theater.

Bunch of savages in this town...
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #5

I don't know why people cannot take responsibility for their mistakes. I am sure the person who hit you did not mean to do so, and probably damaged their own vehicle as well. If it happened in a parking lot, it's not even considered a traffic violation (at least here in Fla). However, leaving without providing contact and insurance info makes the owner subject to a charge of hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident. I know because I actually watched as a woman backed her pickup truck into my boxster, get out of the truck to see what she hit, jump back in the truck and then take off. Luckily I got the tag number. The hood, left headlight assembly and front bumper had to be replaced, but insurance covered it and the car is now as good as new. The big hit comes when you try to sell the car. I have been told that the resell value dropped 4-5K because of the repairs.

As for keying and other vandalism, I have had my car egged but thankfully never keyed. Just jealous a-holes who lack respect for anyone else's belongings. Probably inflated their ego to ruin someone else's day.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:24 AM   #6

A friend once came out of a shopping mall and into the parking lot to find his fender crushed.

There was a note tucked under the windshield wiper. It said:

I'm sorry I backed into your car. Lots of people saw me do it.
They think I am leaving my contact information. They are wrong.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:52 AM   #7

Thanks for all the support. You guys have been great.

I took to a local body shop that I know very well. The owner offered to fix it for free but he only will repair the damage and repaint it. I did want it to be repaired. I'm going to open a claim with my insurance and have the bumper replace and repainted. While at it, I'm going to ask the shop to repaint my front bumper and the roll bar. There is alot of rock chips on my front bumper.

I saw on Ebay a front bumper from an '03 S. What do you guy think of the '03 S's front bumper being put on an '00 S? I have two options right now: bid for the '03 front bumper or use the money to buy the glass soft top.

Once again, thank you for all your comment. This forum has been very helpful.

Richard
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal
A friend once came out of a shopping mall and into the parking lot to find his fender crushed.

There was a note tucked under the windshield wiper. It said:

I'm sorry I backed into your car. Lots of people saw me do it.
They think I am leaving my contact information. They are wrong.

Man, that's just classic! I'm sure that made your friend wanted to kill that guy even more

i got hit in a mall once before too, luckily i drove my beater that day
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #9

Talking Get the clear bra.

Sorry to hear about your incident. If you find him, give us a call and we'll all fly out and give him a lesson in integrity.

If you have your front bumper repainted, get the 3M clear bra put on it. The bumper looks great with it on ours, even after 2 1/2 years. Rocks bounce off and no damage. Just don't put it on immediately. Ask the body shop how long to wait for the paint to fully cure.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #10

Reducing the size of photos

You can use Easy Thumbnails, a shareware program that allows you to resize and save smaller versions of photos. I think it will even convert an entire folder of photos at once.

I'm not affiliated with this program in any way. I personally use it with success.

Here's a link: http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php

-randy

Last edited by rboutin; 07-26-2005 at 08:49 AM.
rboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #11

It won't drop your selling price by 5k. Keep the picture and state what happened. At most it might cost $1,000 at the least $0, sell the car as you would if it weren't damaged. Tell the buyer what happened and how it was fixed, it didn't cause any real problem, just cosmetic.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #12

Public parking lots a daily night mare for me.
I always try to park on the empty side of the lot, preferably under a tree for some shade. Just make sure it doesn't have berries falling down.
This really annoys girls walking in high heels sometimes but if I really like her I'll drop her off and park it by myself. What a guy...

I avoid parking in between cars at all costs.
If this isn't possible I've gone as far as parking in other parking lot for another store! Once there was no choice I had to park in between cars so I only pulled in 3/4's of the way so that our doors didn't meet.
Sometimes I'll park on the street to avoid parking between two cars. Sounds crazy but I'd rather get nudged from the back or front than get a door dent.
Every day I do door inspection and hold my breath.
A guy nearby has a 911 and he's resorted to putting orange cones that he keeps in his trunk. He places one in front and one behind.
Glad to know I'm not the only lunatic.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:57 PM   #13

I usually park out in the middle of nowhere (after I drop off my wife of course) and some joker usually will park right next to me to be funny. Ha ha...jackass.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #14

Lightbulb Valet park it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I usually park out in the middle of nowhere (after I drop off my wife of course) and some joker usually will park right next to me to be funny. Ha ha...jackass.
I did that with the same results until my wife came with the best idea! Valet park it in the shopping centers that have it. If I go to Brooklyn to my daughters place I park it in a parking lot and tip the attendant before I leave to please take care of the car. As far as things done to my cars goes through the gamut of vile and obnoxious things that reminds me why Hammarubi was such a genius when it came to retribution time.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #15

Valet parking is a good idea...however, I live in El Paso man. We have valet parking at two places...the country club and the police impound lot.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote