Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #1

Newbie, question about cigarette lighter socket!

I do not know why my cigarette light socket does not work. When I pushed the cig adapter in, it just bounced back out. When I inserted my cel phone travel charger adapter in, it does not have any power. I checked the fuse and it seems to be normal. What other place can I check to find out why there is no power for the ligher socket? Thank you in advance. You guys have been very helpful.

Richard
'00 S

rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #2

Mine's lousy as well. Doesn't work for the lighter (and from time to time I sure wish it did) but it works all the time for my radar detector. I think you need to order yourself a new one.

Try Sunset Porsche in Portland. Compare their cheap price plus shipping to your local dealership.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #3

Certainly check the power availability, but you might want to investigate this thread first. The lighter sockets on the Boxster are European size and may not work with your equipment due to fit issues without an adaptor.

Randall, of course this doesn't apply to your issue with the lighter itself, which by definition should fit properly in the lighter socket!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 PM   #4

It seems my cig lighter adapter is broken because even though it fits, it does not work. And of course with my cel phone charger, it was just too loose. Probably will go to the local Radio Shack to find the adapter. Thanks

Richard
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:22 AM   #5

If you pull the lighter out, you can tighten up the fit inside. There are two metal pieces that protrude into the lighter that hold on to whatever you plug in. You can push those in so things are tighter and work better.

If you don't need the lighter, you can get the non-smoker's lighter that fits accessories better. It was only $12 at my dealership and it comes with a plastic cover instead of a lighter.

The Radio Shack adapter is kind of ugly as it plugs in and has the adapter part sticking out of the socket. It looks like one of those things that turns your socket into two sockets. I was told that SAAB dealerships carry a small insert that makes it fit American size accessories, but my local dealership did not have them.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote