Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #1

Speed Sensitive Audio Volume

Guys,

Can you hear a difference in this? I have the Bose setup and I honestly cannot tell if this is working at all. Had it on many other cars and it was always noticeable.

When I pull to a stoplight I have to manually turn this down and then back up after I get cruising again.

I have looked at the manual and it doesn't specifiy a setting to turn it on or off.

gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #2

If you have the option, I bet it's turned off. My old CDR210 got very loud when I went faster and then back down as it should. But it won't be in the car's manual, but the head unit's manual ... of course, none of the manuals stay with Boxsters for some reason. Try finding one online to download. I think Renntech has them if you've donated and have access.

Others here have posted they like it, but I found it annoying because it always got too loud when I drove fast.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #3

Thanks Randall. Must be off then.

BTW just read your comments in 8/2005 Excellence. Totally agree with you that 7-8 yrs is a long time to still be having RMS issues. Hopefully Porsche will continue to do the right thing and take care of consumers if they can't ( or don't want to ) correct the real issue.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #4

I scanned and created a PDF of the manual for the CDR220/CR220. If you need a copy, drop me a line.

slogans7@hotmail.com
Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #5

BTW, on page 26 of the manual you'll find info on how to control the cicuit that adjusts the car radio volume. Basically, press the button that shows the little down arrow, then select GAL; by pressing the two buttons in the center, you can regulate the amount of volume adjustment as your car speed increases.

Your radio may have the GAL turned all the way down. Pump it up to 7 and you'll notice the volume increase as you accelerate.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
BTW, on page 26 of the manual you'll find info on how to control the cicuit that adjusts the car radio volume. Basically, press the button that shows the little down arrow, then select GAL; by pressing the two buttons in the center, you can regulate the amount of volume adjustment as your car speed increases.

Your radio may have the GAL turned all the way down. Pump it up to 7 and you'll notice the volume increase as you accelerate.
Thanks for the info. Turns out I have the CDR23 and no owners manual. I spoke with the dealer and the setting ("AP" ) is enabled but I can hear no difference. There is also no level setting for this. So I will wait until I need service and have the dealer check it out.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #7

Lightbulb CDR 23 info

I have CDR23 manual in PDF. There is also a Becker Board. Also www.beckerautosound.com/soundadviceonline.html or http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard/ This last one might be after you log in. Good luck,,,,mike
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRed04
Thanks for the info. Turns out I have the CDR23 and no owners manual. I spoke with the dealer and the setting ("AP" ) is enabled but I can hear no difference. There is also no level setting for this. So I will wait until I need service and have the dealer check it out.
As I understand it, with the Bose system the AP setting sets the "Adaptive" mode. It's not speed sensing but sound sensing. As the interior noise goes up so does the volume.

The fact that you don't hear the difference is exactly the point. It tries to keep the listening volume (the sound you sense) the same based on extraneous noise.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #9

I can only speak for my experience with a CDR21 and now a CDR220

Speed dependent volume is called GAL or GALA (Geschwindigkeitsabhängige Lautstärkenregelung).

You can adjust the sensitivity of it in the User menu, which is accessible by pressing the down arrow key for longer than 8 seconds (at least on my 220).

It works very well, but of course it won't be able to tell whether you have the top down or not.

If the CDR23 with Bose, can adjust the volume depent on the interior volume, then that is cool!!! I want that!
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:27 AM   #10
adg

No difference?

I have mine turned on and agree that there is little to no difference.

Does anyone have a good test to see if it is working properly?

When I had this on other cars it was very obvious when it kicked in, although this is supposed to be more sophisticated. Perhaps more subtle??

adg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglsteven
I can only speak for my experience with a CDR21 and now a CDR220

Speed dependent volume is called GAL or GALA (Geschwindigkeitsabhängige Lautstärkenregelung).

You can adjust the sensitivity of it in the User menu, which is accessible by pressing the down arrow key for longer than 8 seconds (at least on my 220).

It works very well, but of course it won't be able to tell whether you have the top down or not.

If the CDR23 with Bose, can adjust the volume depent on the interior volume, then that is cool!!! I want that!
Trust me you don't want this one because it does not work. With the top down and volume adjusted to listening level it will NOT increase ( at least to any noticeable level ) as you get moving. If you turn it up to a listening level while in motion it will be blaring when you stop.

This one is a crap system that doesn't work as it should. The problem I believe is the microphone sensitivity is messed up.

I have recently put my hardtop on and now I do notice a very slight increase in volume as you begin moving. So slight I would guess about 1 db. Again having owned several speed sensitive volume setups before this one is just not right.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:10 AM   #12

Becker told me that the GAL does not come with Bose. They said the AP is sound dependent - not speed dependent. My oldster hearing isn't good enuf to tell the difference,,,,,,,,,mike
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #13

I have Bose/CDR23 and don't notice any difference with AP turned on. I just gave up and adjust the volume manually. It's a shame as a long time ago I have a car in the UK with adjustable speed sensitive volume and it worked great.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchris
I have Bose/CDR23 and don't notice any difference with AP turned on. I just gave up and adjust the volume manually. It's a shame as a long time ago I have a car in the UK with adjustable speed sensitive volume and it worked great.
I've got the Bose system on my '03S and the AP mode works quite well. With the top down as the noise level increases I can still hear the stereo even at speeds above 80 mph. I can leave it on 15 or 16 and never have to touch it OR have to drop the volume when I come to a stop light.

I think that since you don't hear a noticeable increase in volume like on speed sensitive systems it sounds like it isn't working, trust me, it is.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930
I've got the Bose system on my '03S and the AP mode works quite well. With the top down as the noise level increases I can still hear the stereo even at speeds above 80 mph. I can leave it on 15 or 16 and never have to touch it OR have to drop the volume when I come to a stop light.

I think that since you don't hear a noticeable increase in volume like on speed sensitive systems it sounds like it isn't working, trust me, it is.

When I first got my box I asked here, Renntech, and Rennlist if anyone could tell if this is working. Your the first response to indicate that it is.

This gives me hope that I have a problem instead of a poorly designed system.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 PM   #16

Hi,

It works great on my Car...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #17

Garage
I have a new to me 2004 Boxster S with a CDR23 radio. I read the forum concerning the speed sensing audio and checked my manual. I pressed menu which brought up the user menu and was able to select user 1,2, etc. However the manual states to quickly press menu until GAL is an option. So it should not be this hard - but when I press menu it exits the user manual. is there some trick to make this selection?

If at first you don't succeede ...Okay the manual on page 6 under GAL states that this setting may only be made if no sound package is connected. I believe I have the MOST package so perahps that is why it didnt work. Also once the user 1 is shown, pressing the right rotary control button (manal tune) takes you through the stereo/mono, here it states if a sound package is present the next setting to be shown is Driver - which is what I see. So GAL is not an option for me?

Rick

Last edited by Rickvd; 05-11-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Update
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
Who's askin'?

I didnt know this was a thing on this car! I'm going to have to go check it out!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

maytag is online now   Reply With Quote