Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

need some advise on a 2003 boxster

Hey guys,
It's my first post here. How's everyone doing?

I am looking at a 2003 boxster with around 30k miles. The car needs some cleaning, but over all it's in good shape.

It was regularly maintained, but it has been parked un-driven for a few months at a time for many times without proper preparation for storage. (hence the low mileage)
Most times it was staying in the garage, but last time the car was left outside in the rain for like a year. The owner did start it every month or so to let it run for a bit. The The car needs a major detail and I will get a PPI done if I decided to purchase it.

What do you guys think? do you guys think i will have problem down the road from improper storage?

Thanks in advance!!

Abby997TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

change the oil, flush the cooling and brake system and probably change tranny fluid before you drive it
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
change the oil, flush the cooling and brake system and probably change tranny fluid before you drive it
Agreed, and then wait for the things to break.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

Thanks guys!
Are you guys saying more things will start to go wrong?
Would you go for it if price is lower than average?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby997TT View Post
Thanks guys!
Are you guys saying more things will start to go wrong?
Would you go for it if price is lower than average?
No matter what Boxster you buy, you will spend money on it. Probably around $2k a year. Be ready for that and you'll enjoy the car.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #6

I don't mind spend money on regular stuff. I'm just not sure there will be unexpected expenses due to improper storage.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

My plan it to drive it the way it is now and slowly turn it into a track car. The car will be uses mainly for track days.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby997TT View Post
I don't mind spend money on regular stuff. I'm just not sure there will be unexpected expenses due to improper storage.
You should expect unexpected expenses.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #9

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I guess I've just been really lucky.

I bought my '01 base in late '06, and have spent very little on fixing things over the 5 years of ownership. The only real problem I had was the a/c compressor.

Other than that, the money I've spent on it is preventative maintenance: oil & filters, water pump, fuel filter, motor mount, front brakes, serpentine belt, brake/clutch flushes, coolant flush, air filters, front rad cleaning. Plugs and tubes in the spring.

It's needed one battery (Walmart), and I've replaced the LCD in the climate control with the excellent repair kit available cheap on-line. I've also had to replace the gas door hinge, one of the plastic trim pieces in front of the rear wheel well and the rear emblem (the PO had broken a bit off).

I've also done some mods: the "S" oil cooler, the LN Eng low temp t-stat and mag drain plug, 9x7 short shift kit, cupholderectomy, iPod integration, rear speakers, garage door opener integration, rain sensor wiper control, Senoff wind blockers, coolant cap upgrade, the "red clip". Of course these were optional.

Other than the compressor, I've done all the work myself. Parts pricing is pretty good from Suncoast. Castrol oil from Walmart, Wix filters from Fleet Filter.

Between the Bentley manual, this site and others like renntech.org, Pelican Parts and Pedro and Mike Focke, there's tons of DIY info available. These are pretty easy cars to work on.

I'm thinking of doing the clutch, IMS and RMS myself, but not sure if I want to spend the money on the tools, lifts etc. (If the engine goes boom, I'm going to do a 3.4 or 3.6 transplant myself.)

Started at 52,000 km, currently at around 96,000 km.

Knock on wood...
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #10

these cars need to driven at least 3,000 rpm, frequently. I wouldn't touch a car that was parked for months even if it were properly set up for storage. things dry up, get brittle and then you start driving harder than it's used to and then you've got issues. and I don't find any comfort in a car that is started up for a few minutes.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-17-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
and I've replaced the LCD in the climate control with the excellent repair kit available cheap on-line.
i assume you're talking about the one from module master?

i know the lcd is from an audi and so i've always wondered - did they correct the spelling on "manual" or is it still the quirky "manuell"?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #12

Yes, it's the ModuleMaster unit, and it does have the Audi symbols, which I don't care about. And I don't see the "manual" or "manuell" very often, so to be honest I don't remember, and the car's in hibernation at the moment.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #13

Thanks Norm and guys!
I will go check out the car next Tuesday and get a PPI done. lets hope everything goes well and I will drive her home.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #14

with it driven like that I would factor in 1500-2000 for either the Pelican Parts IMS bearing or the LN IMS bearing kit and have that put in right away, that car is the perfect candidate for an IMS failure (due to the lack of usage)

fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote