Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #1

Airbag light is on after removing the seats.

Is this normal and does it go away after awhile? I had them both out for a day and had the passenger one out for two weeks while diagnosing and fixing the coolant tank problem.

I've read about the TSBs, but didn't know if those apply since the seats were just removed.

Thanks!

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #2

It IS normal but I think you need to re-set this. Tool Pants would know for sure.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #3

I have some experience with this issue. I removed my seat without first disconnecting the negative wire on the battery and letting the car sit for 45 minutes proir to unhooking wires from the seats. This give the car time to dissipate any electricity in the computer components and keeps that pesky dash light off when you get your work done.

Your airbags are working fine though.

You must get the dealership or a mechanic with a PST tool to turn it off for you.

PS - Because I removed my driver's seat, (MY97) I evidently whacked the seat belt receptacle that one last time it needed to give up the ghost. So when I went in to get the airbag dash light turned off, it came right back on due to the bad seat belt receptacle. My mechanic had a new one lying around because they go bad after 5 years and he replaced it. No more dash light.

Porsche should replace these for free if you ask me. It's a safety issue and US manufacturers would have done it for free for any model year... you'd have heard about it on the evening news!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-18-2005 at 06:54 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:00 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Randall.

So if I disconnect the battery cable and let the car sit for 45 minutes before I disconnect the wiring harness and take the seat out it won't do the light thing anymore?

Do I have to make sure the seat is plugged back in before I reconnect the battery terminal to keep it from happening?

What a pain when trying to do diagnostics on the engine. I'll go get it turned off and hope for the best.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
So if I disconnect the battery cable and let the car sit for 45 minutes before I disconnect the wiring harness and take the seat out it won't do the light thing anymore?

Do I have to make sure the seat is plugged back in before I reconnect the battery terminal to keep it from happening?
Yes, in the future, when you remove seats or disconnect something wired into the airbag system, the light will not come on if you've disconnected the battery and let the car sit 30+ minutes. Some might say you don't need to wait this long or at all, but my mechanic says this assures the system has been drained or bled of any remnant or residual voltage, wattage or amperage (...whichever one is right. I can't remember).

And Yes, you MUST plug in the seat connections before you reconnect the battery or you'll receive the same idiot light burning a hole into your forehead every time you turn on your car. Remove stuff for repair or replacement in the right order and reassemble the car in the reverse order and you'll be fine.

Stop the madness! :dance:

Man, I hate those idiot lights, especially the CE light because it can mean a million things!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-18-2005 at 07:16 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #6

If it were the CE light at least I could read the codes and clear it. The diag software and connector I have can't read the other idiot lights or clear them. I can get a tool that does that for $2500. What a bargain!!!!