Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
Instead of my 08 Cayman, I wish I had bought a Mini Cooper S. I enjoy the Cayman ... beautiful car, runs great, fun to drive ... but at the end of the day, it's really just another car, and an expensive, impractical one that ends up sitting in my garage through the week and through six months of winter.
The Cayman will out handle the Mini rain, shine or snow. The front-wheel drive doesn't surpass the Cayman's mid-engine balanced handling - if you know what you're doing. When I was a cop I drove Caprices and Crown Vic which are both rear-wheel, V8 vehicles (with not the best balance) 12 months a year in ALL weather and never got stuck or had any issues. And, of course, this is Denver. Your Cayman doesn't have to sit for 6 months unless you choose it to (dude, you're in Missouri). Of course, your car has traction control. If I wasn't happy with the choice I made, I would sell or trade and move on.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 12-16-2011 at 10:58 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D View Post
I believe Jeep is a synonym for Junk... or is it an acronym? Junk Each and Every Part.... I can't remember. All I know is I got my mom to get rid of hers for a Toyota FJ and she couldn't be happier.
Be careful, my friend, you are not only knocking his choice .... but mine as well. There is no vehicle that compete's with the Wrangler off-road, or holds it's value better. I've had 7 including this one that I drive if I'm not in the Boxster. They aren't for everyone, but the FJ isn't comparable off-road. And on road....... you drive the Boxster.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #63
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01 View Post
Boxster and 996 Turbo are the best bang for you buck at this time. A friend of mine just picked up a 996 Turbo for $33K w/40K miles. Can’t beat that for a $127K new.

All that said, if I got rid of the Boxster I’d buy a 993. I couldn’t afford the 993 so, I bought a Boxster.

wow, a super car for only $33,000?! Looks like I found my next car!

the 996 turbo is still an amazing vehicle and still looks new. With 4 wheel drive, 0-60 in 4.1 and 12.5 quarter stock it'll hang with anything available

that said I think I'll keep the boxster for a awhile, until the style becomes as dated as a 924. It'll be a great backup when my future 996 turbo is in the shop

I'll go ahead and get the Litronic headlamps for the Boxster and some tasteful OEM-looking LED tail lights and be done with the upgrades, it's pretty much perfect as-is. I know people say the 2.5 is "slow" but I've already killed cars that are suppose to be much faster than the 2.5 and it's fun killing 300+hp cars with a 200hp engine
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel View Post
Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought... a boxster s LOL
I second that! LOVE my '99 (no S versions in '99 anyways, so...). But, knowing more about Boxsters now, I would have shopped around for an S. Who knows, I may have still ended up with the same car I have now.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #65
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
I second that! LOVE my '99 (no S versions in '99 anyways, so...). But, knowing more about Boxsters now, I would have shopped around for an S. Who knows, I may have still ended up with the same car I have now.
I have the 2.5 and I'm glad I didn't wait for the S. Bought my 2.5 last month and had I waited and searched for a S I wouldn't have a Boxster at all, would have probably taken another year or two to find a good one at a decent price.

The 2.5 is VERY fast. I know i know, "only 200hp", yeah well german horses must be worth about 1.5 american horses because these are very powerful horses!

I killed a Evo VIII. 276hp, 4wd, 3,000 lbs. Should have killed me but 0-80 it was all me, he fell to my back bumper and never moved from there. Bad shifting? Who knows.

Point is the 2.5/2.7 is more than enough and if someone's thinking "Gee, should wait for the S?" DON'T. Get the base, you'll be very happy.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Be careful, my friend, you are not only knocking his choice .... but mine as well. There is no vehicle that compete's with the Wrangler off-road, or holds it's value better. I've had 7 including this one that I drive if I'm not in the Boxster. They aren't for everyone, but the FJ isn't comparable off-road. And on road....... you drive the Boxster.
Have you ever personally drives the FJ, or only read about it in a magazine? It is quite comical, because last year I pulled a stuck wrangler out of snow drift.....with my FJ. I have owned wranglers in the past, and did enjoy them immensly, but can personally attest to the FJ's off road capability.....and it is good. Even in the mountains of Colorado!

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #67

I wanted the S because of the 6 spd and the monster brakes....and the 3.2 is a nice bonus
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #68

QUOTE The 2.5 is VERY fast. I know i know, "only 200hp", yeah well german horses must be worth about 1.5 american horses because these are very powerful horses!

I killed a Evo VIII. 276hp, 4wd, 3,000 lbs. Should have killed me but 0-80 it was all me, he fell to my back bumper and never moved from there. Bad shifting? Who knows.

Point is the 2.5/2.7 is more than enough and if someone's thinking "Gee, should wait for the S?" DON'T. Get the base, you'll be very happy.[/QUOTE]

The driver of the EVO must have been eating a Big Mac, talking on the phone and resetting his radio stations at the same time when he was "racing" you because there is no way a 2.5 or 2.7 can outrun an EVO.

Just grab any old magazine and take the 0-60 and quarter mile times...impossible.

disclaimer: I do not own an EVO or any Japanese car currently, I do own a 2.7.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)

Last edited by 986_c6; 12-18-2011 at 12:24 PM.
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #69
recycledsixtie

Garage
I agree with..

986 inquiry. My 2.7 base Boxster is sufficient car for me . If you wind it up, it is plenty fast enough. The only other Porsche I tried was a '99 911. It seemed heavy and cumbersome compared to the Boxster. As regards the Boxster S, I really dont need more power. I would think that fuel economy is quite a bit worse? :dance: Am a happy camper.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice View Post
Have you ever personally drives the FJ, or only read about it in a magazine? It is quite comical, because last year I pulled a stuck wrangler out of snow drift.....with my FJ. I have owned wranglers in the past, and did enjoy them immensly, but can personally attest to the FJ's off road capability.....and it is good. Even in the mountains of Colorado!
Amen.. Although I will give the Wrangler some respect as it is probably the only decent vehicle Jeep makes. My moms Grande Cherokee Sport was awful. I was constantly wrenching on that thing. It was junk. We had already put one transmission in it and it seemed to act up every now and then again so I talked her into getting rid of it and taking on a car payment instead of dumping more $ into that piece. She was slightly skeptical of an FJ because its more primitive than her fully loaded jeep was, but since she bought it, she couldn't be happier. I've considered trading the box for one. They are pretty awesome.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #71
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
The driver of the EVO must have been eating a Big Mac, talking on the phone and resetting his radio stations at the same time when he was "racing" you because there is no way a 2.5 or 2.7 can outrun an EVO.

Just grab any old magazine and take the 0-60 and quarter mile times...impossible.

disclaimer: I do not own an EVO or any Japanese car currently, I do own a 2.7.
i know, i looked it up, evo 0-60 in 4.5. Shouldn't have even been a contest, but I guess when it's 6 seconds against 4.5 seconds every bad shift counts.

maybe it was a fake evo, easy enough to add fake badges, but I could hear that turbo whine and blow-off valve clear as day

and this is why i bought a dashcam, so when i go to forums and say "i beat a XYZ today!" I don't have to hear "did they know they were racing?". Not your fault, I'm still wondering wtf happened.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/32206-anyone-else-have-dashcam.html
Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #72
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
i know, i looked it up, evo 0-60 in 4.5. Shouldn't have even been a contest, but I guess when it's 6 seconds against 4.5 seconds every bad shift counts.

maybe it was a fake evo, easy enough to add fake badges, but I could hear that turbo whine and blow-off valve clear as day

and this is why i bought a dashcam, so when i go to forums and say "i beat a XYZ today!" I don't have to hear "did they know they were racing?". Not your fault, I'm still wondering wtf happened.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/32206-anyone-else-have-dashcam.html
Alright, fine, I'll be the one to say it. Street racing is stupid. Talking about it on a message board is not a good idea either. Grow up now, you drive a Porsche.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-18-2011 at 01:08 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #73

Nope.I still go in the garage to just take a look at it after three years.Saw a GT3 the othre day.Beautiful......Oh well
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #74

These threads are so much like loyalty oaths, it cracks me up...

They're just cars... there isn't one perfect car, most have their good points and bad, the Boxster is no exception.

I've owned many, many cars. I don't own them to own them, I own them to 'experience' them. I want to experience them all.

I owned my Boxster for more than 7 years. It was a fine car, despite all it's odd maintenance and design flaws. I owned the Boxster longer than most of my previous cars, and it was fine, competent, mildly fun. But, compared to many other cars I owned, I didn't love the Boxster, never once, and that was one of the primary reasons for selling it. I sold it for a 964 cab, and I love that car, much more like a Sports Car, and being aircooled is a bonus.

I also own a 2002 and an E30. I love those cars too. Everytime I get into my 1-owner, low miles '90 325is E30, I feel like I'm getting into a carnival ride on the Midway... it is an absolute GAS to drive - it can be tossed around like a ragdoll, it's even fun to drive in traffic!

But, as I said, they're just cars. I can always buy another Boxster if the urge strikes me... but I doubt I ever will. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying one, but, I doubt I'd recommend it either.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #75

I had an EVO once. It was the best car I've ever owned and I regret selling it. It was magic on the road - made you feel like a hero driver. I got scared when Daimler sold its stake in Mitsubishi and it looked like they might go bankrupt or drop out of the US market.

This was a hell of a good car.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard View Post

They're just cars... there isn't one perfect car, most have their good points and bad, the Boxster is no exception.

I've owned many, many cars. I don't own them to own them, I own them to 'experience' them. I want to experience them all.

I owned my Boxster for more than 7 years. It was a fine car, despite all it's odd maintenance and design flaws. I owned the Boxster longer than most of my previous cars, and it was fine, competent, mildly fun. But, compared to many other cars I owned, I didn't love the Boxster, never once, and that was one of the primary reasons for selling it. I sold it for a 964 cab, and I love that car, much more like a Sports Car, and being aircooled is a bonus.

I also own a 2002 and an E30. I love those cars too. Everytime I get into my 1-owner, low miles '90 325is E30, I feel like I'm getting into a carnival ride on the Midway... it is an absolute GAS to drive - it can be tossed around like a ragdoll, it's even fun to drive in traffic!

But, as I said, they're just cars. I can always buy another Boxster if the urge strikes me... but I doubt I ever will. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying one, but, I doubt I'd recommend it either.

Cheers!
Hey Jim, a.k.a. Andy, a.k.a. MNBoxster, when you posted under the "MNBoxster" screen name, I'm pretty sure you stated that you loved your Boxster too. Are you off your meds again, Jim?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #77

Quote:

Cheers!
I guess you must have lots of wives throughout your different stages in life... !
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #78

Quote:

Cheers!

Hi,

My recommendation is to seriously look at all Model Years. There are some real CremePuff '98 and '99s (at Bargain Prices) while there are some real Dog '01 and '02s. There have not been that many Boxsters produced that you would have to check out 55+ Cars to find one in the shape and at the price you want. I doubt in your area there would be 10 Cars which you would seriously consider for one reason or another. And, there is some correlation between the amount of work you put in up front to the quality of Car you eventually buy. AND NO MATTER WHICH YOU CHOOSE, PAY $300+ FOR A PROPER PPI - EVEN ONE WHICH IS CERTIFIED!

All Porsches are expensive to own. None are particularly reliable, especially as compared to the 2Ks or MX-5s. The 'S' will cost the same to own and maintain as the Base Model, with the exception that you may drive it Harder and suffer the consequences of this.

If depreciation is an issue, stay away from Fun Cars altogether. In one form or another, they are all Black Holes! You can't Reason your way into a Porsche - it's gotta be a Love Affair, and one which will bring it's share of Love/Hate!

Don't be enamored by the Porsche Crest. A Miata will bring just as many smiles to most people at one third the cost.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I love my Boxster. But, in truth, I hate it much more than I imagined I would as well. I have had virtually no problems per se, but one carries a greater degree of anxiety than I ever have with any other Sports Car, even the stream of Lotus, which I have owned.

If you're still reading this, do your research and go out and find the best one you can for the money... then NEVER look back! Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-07-2006 at 09:22 AM.

See the above post here in the original post:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/5618-questions-prospective-boxster-owner.html

Like I thought, Jim's off his meds. He loved his Boxster back in April of 2006. Myth busted.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #79

You're drag racing a Boxster?? On the street?? And then you come on here spouting some crap about beating Evo's??

That's pretty lame.

Last edited by Mark_T; 12-19-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #80

come on guys, dont even try and pretend its not fun occasionally smoking someone from a dig...Im 32 and like to do it sometimes

fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote