Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
my S has more torque than any of my vehicles in town, effortless acceleration!!!!

my other vehicles are a BMW X3 2.5i and a highly tuned Saab 9-3 putting down about 260hp to the wheels.....the Saab has more violent acceleration (pushing about 23psi boost) but with the turbo lag I think my S is just as fast if not faster accelerating, top speed is no contest going to the S and handling is also no contest also in favor of the S.....but the Saab gets over 30MPG on the highway and has 4 seats and is an auto, so its the daily driver for the wife.
Ah, another Saab performance car driver. I've got a Viggen. Power and acceleration of the Viggen and the Boxster are about the same, but the delivery is completely different. The Boxster is rear wheel drive and naturally aspirated, the Viggen is front wheel drive and high pressure turbo. The Boxster power delivery is effortless and linear all the way to redline. The Viggen is working much harder (noticeable because it has sport motor and transmission mounts), but has virtually no turbo lag because of very clever tweaking of the throttle controls. Of course the biggest difference is rear wheel versus front wheel drive. The steering of the Boxster is much more crisp especially under acceleration. As long as you can get the power on the road (real men don't have traction control) the steering is extremely effortless. The Viggen has serious difficulties putting all its power down through the front wheels, because of the high torque the wheels not only spin but also suffer a lot from torque steering. The Viggen is a real handful when driving it to the max. Still, I love driving both cars, the Box for its sportiness, the Viggen for its sheer brutality. The Box is more fun because the top goes down, the Viggen is more because its a stealth fighter (my greatest joy is smoking clueless BMW's).

So, coming back to the original question. Part of the reason that not everyone is driving a Boxster is because other cars can be a lot of fun also.
Of course the main reason that not everyone is driving a fun car is because they don't care, they just want to go from A to B, yawn.

nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Because everyone I know has figured out how expensive they can be to maintain and upgrade.

I definitely will think long and hard about buying another Porsche that isn't at least CPO.
You may dodge the expensive repairs bullet but the longer you keep the more certain it is that your luck will run out, espcially if your Pcar is winter driven.

p.s.
regarding gas consumption from your list, the Escalade gets 18mpg highway. My Boxster does about 21 mpg.
The Ford Edge crossover/SUV thing gets 30 mpg higwhay.
Exactly!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using Tapatalk
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #43
Matt

Actually a better question is why anyone would drive a mini-van?
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
Ah, another Saab performance car driver. I've got a Viggen. Power and acceleration of the Viggen and the Boxster are about the same, but the delivery is completely different. The Boxster is rear wheel drive and naturally aspirated, the Viggen is front wheel drive and high pressure turbo. The Boxster power delivery is effortless and linear all the way to redline. The Viggen is working much harder (noticeable because it has sport motor and transmission mounts), but has virtually no turbo lag because of very clever tweaking of the throttle controls. Of course the biggest difference is rear wheel versus front wheel drive. The steering of the Boxster is much more crisp especially under acceleration. As long as you can get the power on the road (real men don't have traction control) the steering is extremely effortless. The Viggen has serious difficulties putting all its power down through the front wheels, because of the high torque the wheels not only spin but also suffer a lot from torque steering. The Viggen is a real handful when driving it to the max. Still, I love driving both cars, the Box for its sportiness, the Viggen for its sheer brutality. The Box is more fun because the top goes down, the Viggen is more because its a stealth fighter (my greatest joy is smoking clueless BMW's).

So, coming back to the original question. Part of the reason that not everyone is driving a Boxster is because other cars can be a lot of fun also.
Of course the main reason that not everyone is driving a fun car is because they don't care, they just want to go from A to B, yawn.
that is my wifes favorite thing to do is smoke cars that have no idea what the Saab is capable of. I also have the sport mounts in the Saab..she shakes and rattles at idle lol. I totally agree about acceleration......Boxster S is fast and linear to 7200 RPM, the Saab is brutal and you better be holding on and ready!
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #45

Quote "Actually a better question is why anyone would drive a mini-van?"

- I needed it for work!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
Actually a better question is why anyone would drive a mini-van?
Too many crotch fruits?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
"If I wanted a sound system I'd drive an escalade and fill it full of subwoofers"

Nothing bugs me more than being stopped at a red light and my mirrors are vibrating because some punk has his subwoofers cranked and all I can hear and feel is this " boom boom boom". If I had my way, anyone caught with a subwoofer in their car would be hauled out of it and beaten to a pulp, followed by their car being towed away and crushed to a cube.
I agree,, never mind stopping at a red light,, what's worse is having one of these idiots beside you in traffic, and you can't get away !!
JoeBoxer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #48

Just remember, "coops are for chickens", enjoy your ragtop!
Uller God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #49
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer02 View Post
I agree,, never mind stopping at a red light,, what's worse is having one of these idiots beside you in traffic, and you can't get away !!

Don't worry they will be deaf by 40 wishing they had turned that noise down. If you really want to be angry, you have to direct it to the profiteering @#%^ who thought 1000 watts in a car was really necessary in the first place. Should be able to pull out a paintgun and rifle the offending motorist. Since, I'm living in my rental next to a stop sign where if it's not a stereo it's one of my Harley neighbor's drunken buddies driving with straight pipes, one never hears nature. The best part is the losers nearly running down other people's kids on harleys could not even afford one of these modest houses.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #50
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Don't worry they will be deaf by 40 wishing they had turned that noise down. If you really want to be angry, you have to direct it to the profiteering @#%^ who thought 1000 watts in a car was really necessary in the first place. Should be able to pull out a paintgun and rifle the offending motorist. Since, I'm living in my rental next to a stop sign where if it's not a stereo it's one of my Harley neighbor's drunken buddies driving with straight pipes, one never hears nature. The best part is the losers nearly running down other people's kids on harleys could not even afford one of these modest houses.
Sorry to disappoint but a good sound system does not need to be loud to be enjoyed.

I wish it was just a matter of volume control or the amount of watts that would change the sorry sound system of the Boxster and make it come alive.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #51
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Sorry to disappoint but a good sound system does not need to be loud to be enjoyed.

I wish it was just a matter of volume control or the amount of watts that would change the sorry sound system of the Boxster and make it come alive.
Who you schoolin? I have paradigm performance series towers in my house, all driven by Denon stuff from before they whored their good name out.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #52

"Should be able to pull out a paintgun and rifle the offending motorist" - Ghostrider 310

I'll bet Danger has a fully automatic paint gun that comes up out of the hood of his car at the touch of a button and targets those that annoy him as he cries "Take that, you ill-mannered lout!"
Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #53

Pretty sure danger can get grumpy like this old guy...

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
p.s.
regarding gas consumption from your list, the Escalade gets 18mpg highway. My Boxster does about 21 mpg.
The Ford Edge crossover/SUV thing gets 30 mpg higwhay.
EPA numbers?

'12 Escalade 2wd: 14 city, 18 hwy, 16 combined

'12 Boxster: 20 city, 29 hwy, 24 combined

Real world, I'm sure Escalade MPGs are less, as most Escalade drivers aren't shy with the throttle. Not a fair estimate, as there's just one entry for a 2003, but real world (where users input their own mileage) shows 17 MPG from one user.

Real world with a 1999 Boxster (they didn't have a 2003 listed, so I used '99 as that's what I drive) shows three cars with an average of 24 MPG. Mine is listed as #1, and as you can see, for the past 4,000 miles, mostly city driving, I've averaged 22 MPG. I've gotten as high as 26 and as low as 18.3.

And since you bought up the Ford Edge, I'll use the 2007 model, as it has the most cars (the more data points, the better the averages) shows 16 city, 23 hwy, and 19 combined for EPA. And it shows 18 MPG as an average for 15 vehicles. Far cry from 30 MPG.

I definitely didn't buy the Boxster for it's fuel economy, but it's nice to see I'm getting better fuel economy with my Boxster than I was getting from my '05 Accord. My city average in the Boxster is usually around 20 MPG. For the Accord, it was 17 MPG. And, the Boxster is just so much more fun to drive! Sure, I miss being able to take a third, maybe fourth, person to lunch. But I've never had this much fun "commuting" to work!
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Pretty sure danger can get grumpy like this old guy...

I"m issued special government spansules for that .
Old 01-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #56

Danger, I hope this was not you after the "after party" ?
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #57
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Who you schoolin? I have paradigm performance series towers in my house, all driven by Denon stuff from before they whored their good name out.
Then you should already know how a well thought out sound system can make a horrible bumper to bumper traffic commute so much more bearable.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote