Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
On a somewhat related matter, is there any issue created by leaving a car up on jack stands for an extended period of time? Understand that it isn't as stable as on the ground, but just wondering if it might be bad for the car for any reason. Thanks, hope this isn't a stupid question...
Yes, there is a potential for damage to the struts.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #22

Quote:
On a somewhat related matter, is there any issue created by leaving a car up on jack stands for an extended period of time? Understand that it isn't as stable as on the ground, but just wondering if it might be bad for the car for any reason. Thanks, hope this isn't a stupid question...
Apparently long term is not a good thing. I asked basically the same question awhile back: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29610-does-hurt-suspension.html
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
That car has been up there since 1994...

Yup even with all the earthquakes we have had over the years.

I need to get rid of this thing it is just taking up space.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #24
Ex Esso kid

Beautiful old original stang convertible should be easy to get rid of, what year is it? Heck getting it down will be harder than selling it.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #25
mts

I've had the little 1.5 ton and 3 ton aluminum jacks from Harbor Freight for several years now and they've both worked out well for me (I take the 1.5 for track days).
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #26

Garage
Many thanks Frodo et al, your post did not come up on my search & answers my question perfectly.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #27

I don't know for sure, but I have read where some folks say up on jack stands for a prolonged period of time is hard on the suspension components.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #28
Ex Esso kid

One of my father's buddies has around thirty cars. A partial list of what I've seen include: model A, air cooled Franklin, Benz drop top (3) , 57 T bird, two jags and the MGTD he drives during the summer. Point being he has told me my entire life the worse thing for any car is just letting it sit, for what it's worth...
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #29

A car should never sit...you need to drive it a few miles every other week. This keeps the wheel bearings, rotors, exhaust system from rusting: suspension stays free, brake fluid lines clear, calipers free and lubricated...and the list goes on. Ok, last but not least...let a car sit for a few years and then open the door, the smell of old will permeate the car.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote