Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #1

Good Deal or Not ? ? ? ? ?

Hi,
I looked at a 2002 Boxster with 18,000 miles on it today(New Jersey,USA).It has 6 months of waranty left.It has the tiptronic which I wanted and a sport package.It is in excelent condition(just a few scratches on the door handles inside the car).The carfax is clean.The guy will not take less then $27,500.I really didn't want to spend this much but now that I see it,I do like it it.How would you say this price is?

Thanks,
Frank

Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #2

Use the power of the INET.

Check KBB values for the car at www.kbb.com. Check Private Party values to see where this guy is.

Second, do a sort on Auto Trader.com and find some comp cars that are in your area.

With these two pieces of data, you should be able to understand where the car is in valuation terms.

The real issue is CONDITION and HISTORY. You need to have these checked. Never buy without a PPI by a Porsche dealer and a complete understanding of the car's background.

Good luck.

PS-sounds expensive to me but I don't know the values on the East Coast.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #3

I paid 29,500 for a 2002 tip with 25k miles. That was almost 6 months ago, and at the time the price was competitive. My comparisons with similar cars were putting them in the 31-35 price range. Also in my case, the independent dealer gave me a really good trade in on my previous car.

The prices have indeed been dropping since the 987 model is out so I am not surprised to see yours at 27,500. If Brucelee says it might be high then so be it he has a good point of view in the market.

One of the major factors here is that a tip is harder to find, and the few months of warranty is great peace of mind. You might find a few other tips on the market, but the range will be much greater, one or two will be newer and more expensive, one or two older and more mileage.

I'd suggest keep negociating but be prepared to scoop this one up if it is what you are looking for.
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #4

Sounds like a great deal. I bought my loaded 2000 with 43k miles over the winter and paid ~$24k.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote