Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #1

What is this?

Hi Guys,

i was playing around in my Boxster and noticed that next to the interior cabin light on the roof, there are 2 translucent black covers, with the left one covering a sort of a light/sensor circuit, and the right one covering some other circuits. What are these?

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Attached a picture to help identify what I am referring to.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I believe they are interior motion sensors that are part of your alarm system.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
ddb is right, that is what those are.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #5

Cheers thanks!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Matt

A good time to sit down with your owner's manual (or get one) and read through it. As they say...... It's in there.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Anybody have the red clip to activate the motion sensor while the top is down?
Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #8

Garage
I have the clip. However, after using it to "activate" the IR sensors, the alarm failed to go off when I tested it by reaching into the locked car. I wonder if it works better in the darker, closed top scenario?
florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida View Post
I have the clip. However, after using it to "activate" the IR sensors, the alarm failed to go off when I tested it by reaching into the locked car. I wonder if it works better in the darker, closed top scenario?
the motion sensors are not active immediately after enabling the alarm. it takes, i believe, a few seconds before intrusion would be detected. i know i've tested it and waving my hand in the cabin immediately after locking had no effect. however i came back and tried it and it set off the alarm.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
the motion sensors are not active immediately after enabling the alarm. it takes, i believe, a few seconds before intrusion would be detected. i know i've tested it and waving my hand in the cabin immediately after locking had no effect. however i came back and tried it and it set off the alarm.
+1 on that.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #11

Very nice, thanks for the info :dance:.... *goes and orders
Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I think it takes about 10-12 seconds to go active, since that's when I usually see the red LEDs on the dash start to pulse. And unless you're really trying to get away from your car in a hurry, not many shady individuals can sneak up to your car in that period of time and infiltrate. They'd literally have to be right behind you and be super stealthy. And even though I have the remote key, I tend to use the key in the door lock because there's jerks out there who intercept remote signals so they can go raid/acquire your vehicle when you leave.

If you don't have the clip you can also push on the microswitch in the windshield latch area while you press your remote button and the sensors should still go active.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 12-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #13

Do all Boxsters have this interior alarm? If so, is the red clip all that is needed to activate it?

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Tombea, yes all 986 Boxsters have the interior alarm and the red clip will activate it with the top down.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #15

Whoops, sorry already answered. For some reason my iPhone shows the posts in reverse order?

Last edited by mattatk; 12-05-2011 at 01:59 PM.
mattatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Just in case some don't know, you have the option to lock and alarm your car (with the top up) while deactivating the motion sensors. This can be useful if you leave a pet (or a person) inside the car. Hitting the lock button twice, quickly, locks and alarms the doors and trunks while deactivating the motion sensors. I don't remember for sure but you may get a confirmation chirp and the flashing red light on top of the dash reacts differently, at least initially, when in this mode.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
For my 97, ddb, when I press my lock/unlock button on the remote to lock the car, I'll get a quick double flash of the signals and a horn beep after that. For my car this is normal operation, though it probably is possible to deactivate the horn beep if someone doesn't want it.

If I do that quick double-press to deactivate the motion sensors when locking the car, I get a long single flash of the turn signals, maybe 2 seconds long, and no horn beep, which tells me that it worked. This is also how my owner's manual details correct operation, and my manual is for a MY99 or 2000, I think.

To my knowledge there is no way to do this if you lock the car using the key in the door, and it must be done from the remote.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 12-05-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #18

bad idea to leave the top down long enough to be away from the car for a long time.

The HID lights are very easy to remove even with the top up, just need to get the hood open. A few years back there were a rash of break ins just to steal those lights.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
This is true, Perfectlap, but we see it all the time. I just saw a Miata at work today, top down and open to the world...I won't even comment extensively on the fact that it was cloudy and foggy this morning, threatening to rain. But yea, I doubt (and more than anything hope) that this person has nothing important in the car, because there's nothing stopping anyone from reaching in and helping themselves.

If the car's sensors are active, though, the horn will be blaring the whole time that person is helping themselves to your car's headlights as soon as they reach in to open the door(s) to get to the trunk latches.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 12-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
For my 97, ddb, when I press my lock/unlock button on the remote to lock the car, I'll get a quick double flash of the signals and a horn beep after that. For my car this is normal operation, though it probably is possible to deactivate the horn beep if someone doesn't want it.
Interesting, Overdrive. My 2000 didn't have the confirmatory horn beep when locking the doors via the remote. Maybe the dealer has the option to turn this feature on or off. The lights do however flash.