Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

What to do about 996 turbo swap awd?

I am looking into doing an engine swap to my boxster in the next year or 2 tops and after a lot of internet searches I have not found anyone that has swapped there boxster engine for a 996 turbo engine. I imagine this is due to a number of reasons and mostly due to cost.

For all the "trouble" the 996 turbo would be, rwd to awd conversion and so forth, would it be worth having the 996 turbo over the 3.6NA or 3.8NA? I suppose that is all a matter of opinion which I want to hear from everyone. Also if someone could shed some light on the difficulty and what is involved with the rwd to awd conversion that would be great.

All things considered, which would you choose given the option?

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 View Post
Also if someone could shed some light on the difficulty and what is involved with the rwd to awd conversion that would be great.
I'm not a Porsche fanatic like some of you guys but rear engine AWD to mid-engine AWD ? That I would like to see.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Garage
My 3.6 came from a Carrera 4S.

The M96 engine is an M96 engine... the AWD part comes in from the gearbox and for one thing the 911 gearbox engine relationship is wrong way around, it would not work in a boxster.

To me it seems a lot easier to get a 3.6 and then get a turbo for it from someone like TPC and put a good LSD in it than to try to adapt a hard to find and expensive TT motor and gearbox.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

You've not seen this swap for the same reason there are no GT3 swaps, it's not a drop-in like the M96/M97 engine. The mounting of the GT and turbo engines is different and requires fabrication. The intake/exhaust system is not compatible with the Boxster and the DME needs to be replaced, not reflashed. The guy doing to Subaru swap probably has an easier task than the turbo would be.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
The guy doing to Subaru swap probably has an easier task than the turbo would be.
You're probably right. Since I'm still using the Boxster transaxle, there was no need to deal with custom shift cables, clutch slave, transaxle mounts, or axles/cv's. Not only that, but the initial cost investment and maintaince will be much less than the GT1 based engine.

I'm still amazed at how many Porsche owners don't realize that the Boxsters, Caymans, amd non-turbo/GT3 911's don't share engines with the initial higher-end models.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
Turbo Motor will not fit. GT3 motor can fit, but will cost you the price of a new boxster to have installed. There was a guy in Australia I think that did it, but said even if someone paid him, he would not go through the process again. Car was in Excellence a few years ago...
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
My 3.6 came from a Carrera 4S.

The M96 engine is an M96 engine... the AWD part comes in from the gearbox and for one thing the 911 gearbox engine relationship is wrong way around, it would not work in a boxster.

To me it seems a lot easier to get a 3.6 and then get a turbo for it from someone like TPC and put a good LSD in it than to try to adapt a hard to find and expensive TT motor and gearbox.
May I ask where you sourced your engine from landrovered? You can PM me if you would like.

Thanks in advance
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #8

How about just the engine with no turbos and no AWD?

I think the mounts are different and require fabrication.....993 and 964 stuff