Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

PIC: Standard vs LED Boxster Lic Plate Light

Admittedly, I think I'm a little too into my Boxster when I'm to the point of actually changing out license plate lights.

BUT...the LED license plate lights I put in tonight make a nice difference in the appearance of the back of the car. Here is a pic after I changed the first (left) of the two lights. The pre-existing, standard light is on the right. As you can see, the new LED light is white, while the old light has a yellow tint to it.

By the way, I am VERY pleased after installing the HID retrofit for the front headlights. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Bright white light instead of yellow halogens. What a pleasure to drive at night now.

Attached Images

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #2

Nice. Does this just require bulb replacement or is wiring involved? Great job.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster View Post
Nice. Does this just require bulb replacement or is wiring involved? Great job.
Simple bulb replacement. 4 screws total. Took 5 minutes to do the whole thing.

LED Vehicle Bulb Finder

The bulbs were $2.84 apiece - which is hilarious because I saw a posting on 6speedonline for a "kit" to do the same thing, for $59.99! Huh?

$5 job, looks great, bulbs last forever.

I also replaced my interior dome light with an *amber* LED replacement. Less harsh than the standard white bulb, and gives the interior a more custom feel in the same color as the dash.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

Great upgrade but not so sure about the bulb lasting forever. I've gone threw enough of these cheap bulbs to know that if they last a couple months your gold but, many last only a couple weeks before they die.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Great upgrade but not so sure about the bulb lasting forever. I've gone threw enough of these cheap bulbs to know that if they last a couple months your gold but, many last only a couple weeks before they die.
Well, we're about to find out.

I was impressed with the visual difference -- didn't expect it to be so pronounced.

On my new HID front headlights I can really tell the difference when I flip on the fog lights or the high beams, which are now distinctly yellow in comparison to the HID bulbs.

Yet, I'm not willing to install HID foglights -- that's a little much, and I don't feel like having a pile of ballasts mounted.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #6

wait a minute.... Why would you want someone to have a better view of your license plaet?

which bulbs should I use to get the HID color in my fog lights? You know to match the low beams?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #7

LED license plate lights are cop magnets (they can spot your car's ass a mile away) so I generally stay stock as I don't want any unnecessary attention while doing any spirited driving...

Besides lots of people who modify their cars put them on which increases my chance of getting pulled over and check for loud exhaust or other questionable modification.

I'm just a balding old guy in a Porsche so... ;-)

Last edited by ekam; 10-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #8

Ekam,

Enjoy them - it's often the little things that often make the car fun. I replaced my license place lights, my front parking (driving) lights, my door lights, trunk lights, and getting ready to do my glove box and overhead dome lights (as soon as I can find the correct bulbs) with White LEDs. Love the look, as do all of my friends, and it's got to be easier on the battery.

I've had the license plate LEDs in for about 4 or 5 months now, and no increase in law enforcement interest.

Pat
2003 Boxster S, Seal Gray
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #9

^I already went through the lights phase on my last car when I was young and immature.

$600 HID retrofit lights, $20 a pair hyperwhite interior dome lights, signals & brake bulbs. Hyperwhite lights were the cat's ass back then before LED lights. Yes they were cheaply made and they blow every 6 months. Same thing with all the cheaply made but cost $20 LED lights now really.

Now I just sound old.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

I swapped out the three interior lights in my 03 986 for amber LED's and very much like the look it creates inside. More subtle and less jarring than the bright white lights.

As for the new LED license plate lights, I'm not playing a scene in a Smokey and the Bandit remake, and I doubt a slightly better lit license plate is going to make a hill of beans worth of difference in whether CHP gives me a ticket or pulls me over. Meanwhile, it definitely gives it a cleaner look though.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #11

Just a bulb swap for the fog lights no ballast required LED's,

also you can just see the boot LED light in the above picture.

I've also changed my reversing lights to LED's, again you can just make out my interior cabin light it is also LED.

(Although I haven't got my lights on I have also changed my number plate bulbs to LED's)
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #12

Any trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
On my new HID front headlights
Any troubles with radio interference that you have noticed since the upgrade to HID?

I have heard that some kits are electrically noisy.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tinsby View Post
Any troubles with radio interference that you have noticed since the upgrade to HID?

I have heard that some kits are electrically noisy.

Thanks!
No problems at all. Love 'em. Best $120 I could have spent on the car.

My next best investment was the Durametric cable/software, but that was $300.