Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv View Post
Thanks derekcohen. Could you also tell me where you got your top from? My car is a 2004 model.

Thanks again.
My installer is a Perth company, G.M Millane & Co Motor Trimmer. Google for their website.

They have been very reliable and quick to respond to emails. Recommended.

The top was ordered by them from Robbins.

Regards from Perth

Derek

derekcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Hi ChairmanRon,

I've never seen a beige or tan top on a Boxster. Do you have any pics before the change? Beige or tan would make a classic color combination with some exterior colors IMO.

I believe this is the first instance I've seen of an OE glass window top being replaced with an aftermarket glass window top. Does the glass appear to be the same size? I assume you won't loose any accessibility when placing the top in the service position.

Best of luck with it.

ddb
I'm attaching the before and after photos below.

First before photo is of mine from the dealership.
Second photo is of another vehicle I found on the Internet with the same color combination. I'm including it because it's a clearer shot.
Third and fourth photos are after the new, black top.
Attached Images

ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #23

I had the identical issue with my old Miata.That thing never closed easily. In the beginning I had to hop onto the back of the car and push the top forward while someone closed it from inside the car. So I let it sit closed for weeks and weeks. And since it was only driven weekends it almost always sat in the closed position.
Nothing. A royal pain in the arse. And there were alignment issues to boot. Which got me thinking it has more to do with the looseness of the hardware on the frame (being a used car) coupled with a very stiff, right out of the box canvas. In other words I think the hardware becomes too loose for a top that is not going to be stretching anytime soon. And that's if the hardware on the frame can even be retightened to produce more stretching or if its like the annoying sun visor that won't stay up unless you simply buy a new visor.

I'm giving hard thought to just replacing the plastic again. Or lucking into an 03 OEM full top assembly which is a trick since most Boxster tops are not properly washed (detergent was used) nor Raggtopp protected (faded).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #24

Just got quoted $750 by a very good installer locally. I'm leaning towards the DIY route now. $750 can buy a lot of oil, tires, bypass pipes

Any other guys done the DIY route and want to share their experience? My biggest concern is the "not having the right parts" or "breaking something and having to order it" after getting the old top off.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Any other guys done the DIY route and want to share their experience?
*sigh* Does anyone read previous posts anymore?
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #26

*sigh*... really?? lose the 'tude!

You posted the link to YOUR DIY and I clearly said "any OTHER guys".. as in "any more than the ONE guy on this thread so far"...
Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
*sigh*... really?? lose the 'tude!

You posted the link to YOUR DIY and I clearly said "any OTHER guys".. as in "any more than the ONE guy on this thread so far"...
Hmm, nice trying to save face. Still, a fail. However, that thread wasn't mine, and, has two "others" that DIY'ed their tops. I invite you to read that one that I linked, plus the many others that are already on this forum. Lots of great information to be had here. Those that went before you even posted part numbers for potentially useful parts. No need to be defensive... just go read those posts and you too shall be enlightened.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #28

defensive? you have like 10 posts and you come on here saying "don't people read previous posts anymore". i've got several posts in this thread if you hadn't noticed.. "save face".. "fail"... you sound like pretentious teenager to be honest...

my bad for asking the public forum if anyone wanted to share some tips about top replacement in a thread about top replacement... what the hell was i thinking?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #29

This conversation, your defensiveness and now your need to self validate, yeah, we're done here. This obviously isn't going to go anywhere. I'm not being dragged into your trolling.

However, still trying to be the nice guy, the questions you asked are well answered. Not only in the link I provided, but many others. Those threads will help you get what you need accomplished. I was in your place only a few short weeks ago, and now I have a nice new top. All from the information I learned in this forum. Well, that, and the 101projects book. So, no matter what beef you have with me, get over it and get your new top on!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #30

Update on top installation:

A further two weeks have gone by. I would say that the top has stretched to a satisfactory degree and, at this stage, is 99% of the re-replacement fit.

All-in-all, this conversion has been very worthwhile. Glass rear window, heated, no fears of damage to vinyl by vandals, no clouding, no cracking, no need to fold the vinyl each time the top is lowered ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

derekcohen is offline   Reply With Quote