Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

pushing the pedal down.....

so when I push down on the accelerator, I realized if you push a little harder you feel it click and go a little further and the engine revs high. whats the purpose Of this? my car really doesnt accelerate much faster and actually drops from 5th to 2nd or 3rd gear and hangs there and when I lighten up on pedal again, to get out of that mode, kind of jerks back into gear. I have 99 boxster. thoughts? does anyone use that last push on the accelerator? also, I went to pass on a one lane highway yesterday and even gunned was slow accelerating to pass, which is dangerous. do these cars have a fast aceleration and I am not getting it because potential bad MAF? have had car for 3 wks. thx all

npr

nprboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Assuming that you have a Tiptronic transmission, the final click that you are noticing when pressing the accelerator to the floor is the "kick-down" feature.

This feature is engaged when the accelerator is pressed beyond full-throttle. In this mode, the transmission will automatically shift to a lower gear to provide maximum acceleration.

Once kickdown is engaged, the transmission will only shift up at the maximum engine speed. This mode is disengaged when the accelerator is released to approximately 80% of full throttle.

For further reference, see page 142 of your owners manual.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

thstone is right, it is the kickdown feature on a tip box.

If you press the accelerator down all the way and keep your foot there, the car should shift down 1 or 2 gear and IF you continue to keep your foot down, it will shift gears up only somewhere close to the red line.

If you use the kickdown feature and then release your foot pressure, the car will hang in the lower gear for a bit and you will actually slow down.

In the first scenario, the car should be accelerating hard, as hard as it possibly can. I have a 2.7l Tip and the acceleration is best from 4k rpm up (or so). It has reasonable pulling power below that, for a 2.7l

Last edited by shlim8; 10-16-2011 at 05:50 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

mine behaves just as shlim8 describes as well (also a 2.7L tip). These aren't torque-crazy cars like subies, but they're adequate for getting around slower moving traffic.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #5

Thank you THstone. I have a 5 speed standard transmission so I was wondering 'what in the hell' is this guy talking about. LOL.
I always thought sports cars should have a standard transmission. Just my opinion.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote