Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #1

Front hood latch

Is there an adjustment for the front hood latch-tightness? Mine can pop up and down when latched. I have track guys giving me the eye when they check me in staging.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #2

2 adjustments available...

- 2 black (could be faded to white) rubber stops, one on either side of front of hood can be screwed in/out (rear trunk has them as well)

- female recepticale for latch can be adjusted up/down. Remove black plastic trim piece under hood at front bumper and you'll see latch receptor there. Loosen 10mm nuts and slide up or down as needed and re-tighten to secure. Make sure hood, when closed, will be slightly below front bumper lip or you'll get a whistling sound. Of course, after you adjust here you'll need to readjust black hood stops above..

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post

- 2 black (could be faded to white) rubber stops, one on either side of front of hood can be screwed in/out (rear trunk has them as well)

- female recepticale for latch can be adjusted up/down. Remove black plastic trim piece under hood at front bumper and you'll see latch receptor there. Loosen 10mm nuts and slide up or down as needed and re-tighten to secure. Make sure hood, when closed, will be slightly below front bumper lip or you'll get a whistling sound. Of course, after you adjust here you'll need to readjust black hood stops above..

Good luck
Thanks much appreciated. There is good chance you have found the source of a whistling sound I have as well!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

Sorry to hijack yr thread, but since we are on the topic of front bonnet latch....

Is there supposed to be a manual front bonnet latch on a 2001 Boxster ? When I took out my front bumper, I found a steel cable running all the way from the front fender to the front latch. BUT the cable was not connected to the latch. As far as I can see, there wasn't any obvious point for the cable to attach to the front latch.... Has it dropped off at the attachment point ? Or a previous owner tried to custom a manual release ?

Would be nice to have a manual release in case the battery dies on me one day !
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #5

yes, there is supposed to be a manual release on the '01. It's a steel cable ~ 2mm with a finger loop on the end and looks like this:

For convenience purposes, a lot of people will re-route the cable behind the front bumper tow plug.

good luck
Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #6

Quote:

Good luck
I don't seem to have the black stops on the hood. I have bolt heads on either side of the latch. I am not sure where they would contact if they were there; there is only the plastic cover trim piece below. It looks like the front edge of the hood is below the bumper lip already so I will have to look at another source for the whistling noise I am getting
Old 10-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #7

one black stop is in each front corner of hood. If you don't have, that might explain why your hood flops... this is from my 997 but they are nearly identical on 9x6 models:
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
yes, there is supposed to be a manual release on the '01. It's a steel cable ~ 2mm with a finger loop on the end and looks like this:

For convenience purposes, a lot of people will re-route the cable behind the front bumper tow plug.

good luck
Thanks Burg Boxster, looks like the other end of my steel cable has dropped off the latch... time to investigate further and see where it should fit... I was rushing to put back the bumper the last time.

I presume the loop that you showed is "normally" behind the wheel liner ? It looks like where my cable was headed.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #9

I don't want to infer that you don't know your car. But, having owned two of these I remember sometimes not knowing when the fronk (front trunk) was closed all the way. I've never had an occurrence of the fronk "raising" or bouncing when it was closed all the way. If you haven't, close the fronk then press firmly on the hood emblem until it clicks locked. I won't move after that.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #10

Competition Wheel Studs (ea)

Whoops, this was supposed to go on a different thread

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote