Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #21

I have the Fabspeed (+headers) and the low end drone is pretty bad even at a much higher cost. But man you would love to see me charging 0-60 out of the toll booth...
The throttle feels totally different. The other night I was backing up the car to park rear bumper in at this parking lot and a guy in Pontiac Trans Am took major exception to the sound. He started revving his engine really loud while glaring at me.

I gues for the price this Ebay unit is worth the expriment if you only top down drive and have a really good stereo. But don't sell the old exhaust. Highway driving with a loud exhaust might push you over the sanity limit.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-06-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Man,the drone never got to me,honestly,I could hear it,but it was never a 'man that's annoying'. I drove 2 Boxsters totaling 20k mileage with that exhaust. Maybe I got lucky and mine wasn't as loud as Randall's?

For everyone that paying $1xx....I wish I was you,I paid $500 I think for mine years ago.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Che has said that he only calls it a "racing" exhaust because he knows it can be loud. I don't think he should do this, as it can turn away folks who really do think it's a racing, and therefore street illegal, exhaust.

Have you got a sound clip for us, Randall? Yours is the original guinea pig, I'd be curious to hear it in action, be it resonance or screaming at redline.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #24

I put the exhaust on today and the right tip is nearly touching the shroud.
I ran the car until it was hot and then stuck a breaker bars up into the tips and tried to rotate the right tip down and the left up.
It helped a bit, I've got to keep on working on it because I think the right a bit close to the shroud.

Let me comment that the sound is FANTASTIC!

My first thought when I started it was, I love this exhaust! Then I went for a drive and I couldn't be happier. Drone is not an issue to me, I can't say it's any worse the the oem exhaust at 60mph in 6th gear.

I'll try to make a quick vid of the sound later tonight.
I should mention the 19 pound weight loss.
I wouldn't call it a race exhaust, it just not THAT loud.

DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
My first aftermarket muffler had the same crappy fit. It was a Stebro Sport Exhaust. I was able to improve the fit by loosening everything, forcing the system into a better position, and retightening the fasteners.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that these mufflers both fit so badly in the same fashion?

At first I was thrilled with the sound. After a couple of years, I grew to hate the drone; especially when running with the hardtop on and even with the soft top up. I was never happy with the fit, but it was the drone that led me to get rid of the Stebro.

I replaced it with a complete NHP system which was terrific. No annoying drone whatsoever.

Before and after pics of the Stebro after the adjustment.

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote