Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #21

^ not a fan of waterless wash? I find that its much less 'invasive' on the paint than a full bucket and hose wash every time -- cuts down on the contact with the paint.

You also have to use the right towels (waffle weave) I find prickly microfiber to be overkill for a well-maintained car. And you have to constantly turn the towel so that each panel makes contact with a clean surface -- in the direction of the wind.

People go overboard with these sudsy mitts and brushes. Doing that every week will wreck the paint quickly. Right now I fill a 2 gallon pesticide sprayer from Home Depot with water and 1 ounce of Optimum No Rinse. First to mist the No Rinse over the paint using the spray nozzle. Then I remove the cap and just dunk the towels using the side of the inside lip of the pesticide bottle to squeeze out and debris. Once I'm done with the paint I'll use beat up towel and the water left over to wipe down the wheels. Takes about 7 minutes. Add some matte finish tire dressing and it looks just washed. I know some of the professional detailers use No Rinse on Ferraris and Lamborghinis when they go offsite. Sounds like confidence in the product.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #22

I had a squeaky hard top on a previous car too. I used some de-icing spray on any of metal on metal contact points. no more noise and it lasted the winter.

That's a great top. It looks a little weird in some colors but I think yellow and black work well. Too bad I was on vaca when that one guy was selling his for $2K.
some lucky dude got a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
The Zeintop does squeak and rattle a bit but not anything that bothers me too badly. Getting it to fit properly takes a bit of effort but once you have it shimmed right, it is easy to live with. It is fiberglass and you can hear that in the way that sound is reflected offo of the roof in the interior. Also the rubber seals around the windows cause a little wind noise and I don't think it is possible to make it go away but it it is not obnoxious.

I am totally thrilled with it, it has taken my car from ho-hum to bad ass and I really like that. The new look seems more fitting for the 3.6L.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Woah... That is the most reflective, black car i have ever seen 0.o I need to know your secrets!! lol. You don't use a buffing wheel do you?
For the Benz I didn't have to use the random orbital, for two years and 28k miles I took well enough care of it that I decided not to buff it. For the Boxster I did many times, as I got better and better I thought about doing the Benz because I was curious but it looked so nice the week I went to sell it I decided not to. If it had had any cobwebs, swirl marks, or holograms I would l have. Buffing can leave a very faint milky finish and if there are none of the above to remove it isn't worth it. With all the cars I have now done I'm pretty confident I could have made the Benz even nicer. Of course you know the pictures were taken in perfect light so it does make the pictures more fun and stunning. If you are in the Charlotte area PM me, we'll do yours, need a day for two people at least...I'm just a guy with a low speed random orbital in his garage...not one of those speed shops that zip it out and then cover it with enough wax to hide imperfections.

Kurt - You like them wheels...I've enjoyed them thanks, I got a them off an awesome 2006 .
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post

Kurt - You like them wheels...I've enjoyed them thanks, I got a them off an awesome 2006 .
Really glad you're enjoying them! They couldn't have gone onto a better looking 986.