Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #1

Rubberized trim damage on clamshell

My aftermarket speedster humps have rubbed some of the rubberized trim off the clamshell edge. Is this a part I can swap out?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #2

Uh Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My aftermarket speedster humps have rubbed some of the rubberized trim off the clamshell edge. Is this a part I can swap out?

Can't help you there but I'd like to know what brand of aftermarket humps they are, I want a set for my 987, but not if they are going to damage things.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #3

These humps are no longer for sale. Company went out of business.

And I take full responsibility for the damage because I didn't add enough felt to the bottom of the units after I had them painted.

I don't think Porsche makes factory ones for the 987s, but there are some good aftermarket ones out there. Just make sure the fitment is really good and get some referrals from satisfied customers.

I will say that my humps are a pain to put on and take off when I want to raise the top or leave the car somewhere unattended. I, like most other hump owners, have a love-hate relationship with them.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
I would think so, try ********************************************'s website they have trim parts diagrams & the highest prices I have ever seen!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #5

Thanks

Quote:
I don't think Porsche makes factory ones for the 987s, but there are some good aftermarket ones out there.
Thanks Randall the ones I am looking at are made by Direct Sales and Design in Ft. Lauderdale. They sent me a bunch of photos of various 987s with the humps fitted. The look fine in the pics, but I realize you can adjust everything to look good until the shutter snaps!

These have a piano style hinge between the two sides and straps that fit around the roll bar where the center windescreen is. They say you can put the straps on then put the windscreen back in on top of them I'm not sure about that one although the photos show it that way. They also attach where the spin locks normally go but the fastener is not a spin lock.

I think I can get a set for about $700 un-painted.

Like you I know they are a PITA to use but I like the look of them.

Correct that the 986 takes a different set than a 987 and P doesn't make 'em.

Cheers, and good luck
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #6

You should ask Direct Sales for 2-3 customers' phone numbers or emails to ask them how they like the humps and if they fit as good as the company claims.

Lots of little companies bought a set of factory humps, made molds from them, altered this and that to make it work cheaper than the factory units, and started selling them.

Since the 987 never had any factory ones made for it, you know this is what they did... modify 986 hump designs to fit.

Frankly, I'd love it if someone came out with a hump/trunk variant that mimics the Boxster speedster. THAT would be cool.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Yuuup!

Quote:
You should ask Direct Sales for 2-3 customers' phone numbers or emails to ask them how they like the humps and if they fit as good as the company claims.

Frankly, I'd love it if someone came out with a hump/trunk variant that mimics the Boxster speedster. THAT would be cool.

I will do that, on the phone they seemed willing enough to allow me to return the humps if the fit doesn't suit me, that's a start at least. But talking to real users and not the builders will tell the tale.

I'd love a set that look like the Speedster, put me down for a set!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #8

Like me, you're looking for folks who've owned them for a year or so and have left them on the car a while and taken them off and put them back on repeatedly.

BTW, should you buy them don't store them in your rear or front trunks. Regardless of how well I secured them and wrapped them, they still slide around with spirited driving and the abrasion is hell on the paint.