Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #1

Lightbulb Finished headlight mods: HID + De-Amber + LED turn signals, city lights & fog lights

Sorry for the picture overload!

HID H7 low beam
Xenonmatch H7 high beam
H7 68 LED fog lights
5 LED city lights
De-amber + 20 LED amber turn signals

LED fog light

LED city light

Xenonmatch high beam bulb

panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

LED city light on, only

City light + HID low beam

City light + fog light

HID + Xenonmatch high beam

Low beam + high beam + fog light
Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #3

HID low beam + stock fog light

HID Low beam + LED fog light

De-amber

Halogen turn signal vs LED turn signal bulb
Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #4

Low beam + fog light + LED turn signal

De-ambered

Low beam + LED turn signal

Low beams

City lights and fog lights only
Old 09-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #5

Very jealous. I would give anything to rid my 02 S of it's awful amber yolk-ness. As of yet I have not been able to justify the cost of getting rid of it by replacing the assemblies. Someday....
jakekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

Where did you find the LED fog and turn lights?

I would imagine they run a lot cooler than the OEM bulbs and won't melt or yellow the inside of the housing.

Wish I could say the same for the retrofit xenons in the low beams. I've heard that these sometimes damage the housings from the inside out. Hope that doesn't happen to your car.

I do love the look though. Are the LED's substantially brighter?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekit
Very jealous. I would give anything to rid my 02 S of it's awful amber yolk-ness. As of yet I have not been able to justify the cost of getting rid of it by replacing the assemblies. Someday....
I know what you mean, a pair of brand new assemblies can cost quite a bit, but those clear lenses do transform the look of the car. Sometimes just have to convince yourself harder.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Where did you find the LED fog and turn lights?

I would imagine they run a lot cooler than the OEM bulbs and won't melt or yellow the inside of the housing.

Wish I could say the same for the retrofit xenons in the low beams. I've heard that these sometimes damage the housings from the inside out. Hope that doesn't happen to your car.

I do love the look though. Are the LED's substantially brighter?
LED turn signals were from vleds, they are significantly brighter than stock halogens. I will post a comparison video shortly.

The fog leds were from ebay and they are not bright enough for my liking, I'm still searching for the right bulbs.

HID low beams actually run cooler than stock halogen as well, I have had them installed for over two years (one of the first mods I did) and they are perfectly fine.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #9

Just replaced the license plate lights as well, I'm impressed with the light output from the latest SMT LEDs!

Will snap some pics later.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #10

looking good, i like it!
wilson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #11

Tried ordering the 120 SMD LED's off ebay for the Fog light replacement of my '02 986. But it did not fit in the housing compartment by about a millimeter. So close but just didn't want to get in there. So I am about to order these h7 Xenon 6000k temperature bulbs to try to match my low beam HID's. I hope these will work out a bit better because I know how dim LED's can be. Thanks for this post though Pan. I've been using it as a blueprint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-White-HID-XENON-6000K-PX26d-Headlight-Bulb-12V-55W-/140629798848?hash=item20be306fc0&item=140629798848&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_2676wt_1114
Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #12

I hate to be a miserable old git, but I feel it won't be long before folk are re-ambering their pre facelift 986s. The car looks some much better with ze ambers. It is and always has been folly trying to make a car designed for ambers look newer with clear clusters. They nearly always look a lot better with the original ambers. But people usually don't realise this until the model is so ancient there's absolutely no point in trying to update it with clear lights.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panameras View Post
Just replaced the license plate lights as well, I'm impressed with the light output from the latest SMT LEDs!

Will snap some pics later.
I'm very interested in your headlight lenses, it looks like you cut the bottom of them?

My 2.5 came with burnt lenses, looks like someone might have put in bulbs that ran a little too hot.

Can I just cut the lenses out completely? The burnt plastic isn't horribly noticeable but it's annoying to me, like having a spaghetti stain on my shirt that only I know is there
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
I'm very interested in your headlight lenses, it looks like you cut the bottom of them?

My 2.5 came with burnt lenses, looks like someone might have put in bulbs that ran a little too hot.

Can I just cut the lenses out completely? The burnt plastic isn't horribly noticeable but it's annoying to me, like having a spaghetti stain on my shirt that only I know is there
here's a photo of the burnt lenses. Not horribly noticeable but it's annoying to me and at night it's probably blocking some of the light.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panameras View Post
Sorry for the picture overload!

HID H7 low beam
Xenonmatch H7 high beam
H7 68 LED fog lights
5 LED city lights
De-amber + 20 LED amber turn signals
would you mind listing where you bought your items?

did you buy these? 2 x Car 120 LED SMD Xenon-White Bulbs H7 Fog/Day Light | eBay

You mentioned them here:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29912-h7-leds-fog-light-bulbs-drl.html#post254658

How did those LEDs work out? Can't beat $30 shipped!

They look identical to these which are $65 shipped
6000K 120-SMD HID LED H7 Fog Light Bulbs BMW 528i 540i | eBay

All of my lights are currently 100% stock but I'm working on going all HID and LED.

Going Stealth Auto HID from Pelican Parts
Porsche Boxster Lights and Lenses - Page 2

Buying $8.50 LED city lights from here:
High Intensity BAX9S LED

based on this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/23853-986-litronic-xenon-headlights-$1-200-a.html

And now I'm looking to replace my fog lights but I must make sure they're as bright as OEM and would like them to match the 6000K Stealth Auto HID kit

Anyone have any suggestions? I've searched the forums for awhile (hence the links to other threads) but I'm still missing a few items
Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
would you mind listing where you bought your items?

did you buy these? 2 x Car 120 LED SMD Xenon-White Bulbs H7 Fog/Day Light | eBay

You mentioned them here:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29912-h7-leds-fog-light-bulbs-drl.html#post254658

How did those LEDs work out? Can't beat $30 shipped!

They look identical to these which are $65 shipped
6000K 120-SMD HID LED H7 Fog Light Bulbs BMW 528i 540i | eBay

All of my lights are currently 100% stock but I'm working on going all HID and LED.

Going Stealth Auto HID from Pelican Parts
Porsche Boxster Lights and Lenses - Page 2

Buying $8.50 LED city lights from here:
High Intensity BAX9S LED

based on this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/23853-986-litronic-xenon-headlights-$1-200-a.html

And now I'm looking to replace my fog lights but I must make sure they're as bright as OEM and would like them to match the 6000K Stealth Auto HID kit

Anyone have any suggestions? I've searched the forums for awhile (hence the links to other threads) but I'm still missing a few items
I got a pair of 120 SMD LED's...BUT, they did not fit into the fog light housing by only a millimeter or two! I got these ones. . . . . . .

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

There are however, the same LED's on ebay, but in a width that's a bit smaller than the ones which I have posted, that SHOULD fit.
I have yet to attempt another order though.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbocio View Post
I got a pair of 120 SMD LED's...BUT, they did not fit into the fog light housing by only a millimeter or two! I got these ones. . . . . . .

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

There are however, the same LED's on ebay, but in a width that's a bit smaller than the ones which I have posted, that SHOULD fit.
I have yet to attempt another order though.
so these LEDs you linked to will not fit our cars because they're too wide? How are they too wide? Can they be dremeled down?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
so these LEDs you linked to will not fit our cars because they're too wide? How are they too wide? Can they be dremeled down?

Correct. They did not fit by a millimeter or two.
I assume if you want to go through the hassle of trying to dremel it down, you can. But I'm sure it would be a bit easier just ordering a pair that is a tad less in width than the 2.0 cm.
There are ones with a width of 19mm that might have a better chance in squeezing in the housing. But like I said I have yet to try to order to see if they fit.
the 19mm one's might just do the trick though..
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
here's a photo of the burnt lenses. Not horribly noticeable but it's annoying to me and at night it's probably blocking some of the light.
My wife's car has the same problem, the previous owner put 70w bulbs in and melted the insides. I put 55w back in and I am planning to to a projector xenon upgrade which will not use the old burnt lenses.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #20

Maybe off topic. But I was told by a seller of SMD's that although they look white when you are looking directly at them they don't send out light the way a halogen bulb does. IE: They won't be as bright with the light they project onto the ground as opposed to an incandescent bulb. The color will be pure white but that's about it.

As to why this is so I really haven't been given a good explanation. Sure the smd's don't have a filament that radiates 360 degrees like a halogen, maybe that's the answer.

Of course Audi's R-8 has LED headlights so they must have found some way to make them work, how it was done I don't know. They say the low beams aren't good but the high beams are awesome.

J T