Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #1

Garage
Driver's seat issue

So I thought I just needed a new height adjustment lever, but after tinkering a bit, I see the lever is just fine. I followed the cable that the lever is attached to, and it goes to a cylinder that presumably adjusts the height of the seat. I put the channel lock on the end, pushed and pulled a bit, and can't get it to engage.

Anyone else have this fail on them before? Looks like the prior owner pulled on the lever a bit hard, and broke a spring that resets the lever, but otherwise, I think everything else under the seat is intact.

Any other way you can think of to engage that cylinder? I'd really like to drop that seat just a bit...

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #2

I'm not sure what you're asking. The lever doesn't do anything but allow you to move the seat with your legs. Pull up (I believe I'm not in the car and I don't adjust the seat as it is adjusted the way I like it) and slide back/up or forward/down using your weight to move the seat. Then release the lever. If you're already doing that, disregard. It is a little different than anything else I've adjusted. It is also in the owner's manual.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Garage
Thank you!

I didn't do a good job of explaining, but you got me on the right track -- I had been thinking that lever automatically moved the seat up & down - looking at the mechanism (upside down, with a flashlight), I got what you are saying -- can't move it without sitting in the seat.

The cable hooked to the lever is completely mangled, but I did get my vise grip on where it is supposed to engage, levered it, and presto, I can move the seat up and down.

The cable mechanism will have to wait for another day to get fixed -- got the seat in a good position!

Thanks much.
2003S (aka Chicago Steve!)

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote