Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Tire Wear

Removed front and rear tires to paint hubs today. Noticed that both fronts and rears were wearing unevenly with more wear on the inside, some cupping also. Looking for possible causes and correction from the forum. Thanks everybody. 2006 987. 3,000 miles on the tires.

jetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #2

Either your pressure's are way off or your tires don't fit your wheels. Please post up your tire size, wheel size, tire pressures. This will help someone help you.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Its normal to have more wear on the inside 2/3's of the tire due to the stock alignment.

Cupping typically indicates a shock issue. Is the cupping even on both sides or more pronounced on one side?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #4

Try getting the tires balanced. That should fix it. Also the inner tie rods are weak and can go bad with age in the front wheels. Luckily, they are cheap to replace.

Last edited by ProjectM96; 08-22-2011 at 04:55 AM.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #5

Tires are Sumatomo HTRZ II, rear 275 35 R 18 with spacers, front 235 40R 18, rears are at 42 and fronts 40 and 32. The one that I noticed the most severe cupping on was the one at 32 PSI. Guess I should ck tire pressure more often. What you guys think?

Denver Steve - Two years ago I stayed at Beaver Village in Winter Park for two weeks for a training. Easily the most beautiful place I've ever been. Rented a mtn., bike and biked whenever I was free.

Mike
Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #6

I was there Fri. - Sun. For a wedding and golf. The Vail Valley is indeed gorgeous.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 08-22-2011 at 06:23 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetty1
Tires are Sumatomo HTRZ II, rear 275 35 R 18 with spacers, front 235 40R 18, rears are at 42 and fronts 40 and 32. The one that I noticed the most severe cupping on was the one at 32 PSI. Guess I should ck tire pressure more often. What you guys think?

Denver Steve - Two years ago I stayed at Beaver Village in Winter Park for two weeks for a training. Easily the most beautiful place I've ever been. Rented a mtn., bike and biked whenever I was free.

Mike
Installing taller than stock tires & wheel spacers induces negative camber to the tire alignment which increases inner treadwear. I am guessing you are also seeing/feeling feathered edge treadwear not cupping due to front & rear toe setting being out of spec. What you need is a proper alignment by a mechanic capable of compinsating for the modifications. Don't waste your money rebalancing the tires as this has no affect on treadwear. If your car has over 60K miles or a leaking strut that could be a factor in the irregular wear.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Installing taller than stock tires & wheel spacers induces negative camber to the tire alignment which increases inner treadwear. I am guessing you are also seeing/feeling feathered edge treadwear not cupping due to front & rear toe setting being out of spec. What you need is a proper alignment by a mechanic capable of compinsating for the modifications. Don't waste your money rebalancing the tires as this has no affect on treadwear. If your car has over 60K miles or a leaking strut that could be a factor in the irregular wear.
Struts look fine and car has just 40,000 miles. I will ck around and see who could do such an allignment. Thanks for the advice, Im also going to adjust tire pressures to correct levels.