Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #21

By the way.

What would be a reasonable price on a drivetrain warranty (to cover any IMS/RMS issue)?

I was quoted:

a 36 month/36000 mile warranty is 2268
a 48 month/ 60000 mile warranty is 3357

I asked if would be lower if I fiance the car through them, but they aren't budging on that or the price of $20,600. So it will be closer to 26k out the door with warranty and taxes, etc.

With my budget of 19k I guess I'm asking for to much?

scottnh1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnh1970
They are Porsche Sport Classic II. I asked and take a look. They are just the chrome 18" version.

Those wheels have a good size lip. Has anyone ever seen 18" Porsche Sport Classic II's with a lip like that? Maybe they don't know, is it a Porsche dealership?
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #23

Garage
Ask them to take a picture of the option sticker under the front trunk, then you'll at least know what it had from the factory.

IMHO, those wheels would have to go. Way too much bling for my tastes. Of course, I'm not looking to buy it, so...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminC
Ask them to take a picture of the option sticker under the front trunk, then you'll at least know what it had from the factory.

IMHO, those wheels would have to go. Way too much bling for my tastes. Of course, I'm not looking to buy it, so...

Those wheels would be great if they weren't chrome (for my taste), if they really are 18". I would like to know who makes them.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance—what is PSM?

I'm trying not to make an emotional purchase—but common sense is leaning to yes.
PSM = Porsche Stability Management aka Please Save Me

The most common mistake people make when purchasing a car is letting emotion rule.

Some take it or leave it advice:

Whenever I am contemplating a purchase, whether it be clothes, cars, tools (that I think I really gotta have), electronic gear or gadgets, and emotion kicks in, I automatically wait 1 week before making the purchase.

Sometimes the desire is still strong, so I make the buy and am generally satisfied. Sometimes my passion for the item fades and I am glad I didn't buy it on 1st impulse.

Other times, I have often found one that is better, one that I like more, or the same item at a lower price.

In a few rare cases, the original item is no longer available a week later, which I just write up to fate - it wasn't to be.

This practice has served me well over the years and prevented me from spending money needlessly on things I really don't want or need.

It takes some practice, especially with a used car with the potential to be 'lost' to someone else.

On the other hand, if you disappear for a week, the dealer or seller is more prone to haggle when you return because he knows that you're both a serious, and non-emotional buyer. His tricks (yes... they do use tricks to play on your emotions) don't work and he knows it. If he wants to make the sale, he has to play it straight up.

And maybe the most important thing to keep in mind is:

The one thing the World has no shortage of is used Boxsters!

Don't exceed a tight budget, it will diminish your joy in the car and have you 2nd guessing yourself.

Good Luck!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #26

Another thing to realize about these cars is that their value is still plumetting.

If financing the car, consider how you're going to feel a year later when the car's market value is $17k, but you still owe the bank $22k.

I'd say stay within your budget! You can still find a very nice Boxster and get out the door for $19k.

It won't be the newest model, or the most option loaded, it might not even seem as nice as the one you're looking at here. If your budget is truly realistic, you have to face the fact that you cannot afford this car.

But you're not in a position to go to the showroom and get the exact car you want either, so you have to make some compromise.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #27

Those wheels look like the same ones I have in black. Cheap ebay ones. They look nice but are heavy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-Porsche-Cayman-Boxster-997-911-CHROME-wheels-rims-/230662153128?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b48923a8
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is
Yes, I question whether they really are 18" and not 19".
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #29

I purchased my 2000S two years back and paid $15,700 plus tax. Mine was a one owner with 62K on the clock. It is completely stock and that is how I will keep it. I have put about $1800 in it, like new tires, rotors & pads, brake flush, filters, oil change and servicing the Tip. Love the car.

OH, I just had a new GAAH top installed at a cost of $1450.00

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #30

Thanks everyone for all the advice (my wife thanks you too!).
I decided to pass on this particular boxster as it was out of my budget. After driving it, I let my emotions get the better of my decision making. I'm going to take my time and find the right boxster that fits my budget—and re-evalute what I will be doing with the vehicle once I get it.

I want a weekend driver that I can slowly personalize to my needs and tastes.
scottnh1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #31

Scott, There will be people getting rid of their "summer" cars soon. Keep you'd eyes open on craisglist and ebay for cities around you that you can drive/fly to and get a good deal.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance—what is PSM?
Here ya go..

http://www.deter.com/porsche/PSM.txt

mallai is offline   Reply With Quote