Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
mts

Saying Goodbye - Boxster S Sold

I sold the 2004 Boxster S on Friday. It will be missed, but it was time to make the sale. From formal listing to sale it was less than 2 weeks and I had two back-up buyers if the first one fell through at my asking price of $31,900. My car was exceptionally clean, but I was still very surprised I had that I had that much interest in it that quickly in this economy. I didn't ask top dollar, but rather what I thought was a fair price (slightly over KBB private party excellent) and apparantly I was on the low side. Oh well. It was worth a little lower price to me to avoid a prolonged sales experience and having to talk to/haggle with people too much. I listed it here, on Rennlist and Autotrader, but that's it.

I have decided to turn back the clock a bit and get the air-cooled 911 marked off my bucket list and will be looking for a 1996-1998 993. Probably a Targa as they are just a little unusual with that glass roof and kind of hard to find.

I am sure I will be back in a Boxster of some sort at some point in the future. It really is a terrific platform and from my initial drives in 993's I think my 2004 Boxster S is a better driver. Still, the 993 itch needs to be scratched for better or worse.

I did have a couple issues during my Boxster ownership (including the dreaded IMS failure) and this forum was extremely valuable in helping me sort through some things and figure out possible fixes. It's certainly the best Boxster forum out there hands down.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

$32K for a 986S doesn't sound so terrible to me when you consider that a 996 911 Turbo can be had for under $40K and that was a bonafide six figure exotic -- a true dry sump with GT1 race engine pedigree. not to mention the avearge owner pays for all the required dealer service due to being in a higher income pool than the average Carrera/Boxster owner who might skip it or DIY -- a definite draw for a used car buyer. Point is there are screaming deals all over the sports car map. Shop wisely and congrats.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-15-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Bittersweet posting, really, but all I have to say is this: Do what's going to put a grin on your face (read, enjoy the 993 ), and don't be a stranger to the forum...besides, you already said you'd be back...maybe with a pre-owned Boxster Spyder?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Wow that seems like you did very well. Enjoy your next ride! I have a 2009 E350 with 28k miles for $34.8k and it hasn't sold...that is $6k less then dealers...I need you to sell my car!!! How many miles were on your Box?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

You won't be in a Boxster again after owning a 993.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #6

MTS, you and I corresponded during your IMS issue via PM's. I remember your comments regarding the 993's (I'm looking to go in the same direction towards the 993) overall engineering and layout, specifically underneath.

If you pull the trigger on one it would be interesting to hear your comments, especially for those of us contemplating the air cooled jump. Good Luck
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #7

I think that's a great price, for the past few months there's a lot of local guys off loading their 911 turbos, etc. Not sure if the economy has anything to do with it.

You'll enjoy the 993, definite a step towards the right direction IMO.

Last edited by ekam; 08-16-2011 at 04:37 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Wow that seems like you did very well. Enjoy your next ride! I have a 2009 E350 with 28k miles for $34.8k and it hasn't sold...that is $6k less then dealers...I need you to sell my car!!! How many miles were on your Box?
Here is the ad for the Boxster S:
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29934
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
MTS, you and I corresponded during your IMS issue via PM's. I remember your comments regarding the 993's (I'm looking to go in the same direction towards the 993) overall engineering and layout, specifically underneath.

If you pull the trigger on one it would be interesting to hear your comments, especially for those of us contemplating the air cooled jump. Good Luck

Will do. The few 993's I've driven so far feel like they are constructed like tanks compared to the Boxster. In some ways I like this in some ways I don't.

My biggest issue now is trying to figure out what kind I want. I've always been a drop top person, but after living with the super slick Boxster top the last 4 years I'm not sure if I can deal with going back to a plastic rear window and boot cover.

I drove a 993 Targa recently and I think that is where I might go. They are a little rare so a good one will be harder to find, but I like the fact that you don't see very many of them. Of course a nice widebody coupe with a sunroof wouldn't be bad either. Too bad they never made a Targa in the widebody.

Here is a pic of a Targa at the recent P2O event. Pretty good looking car.
Attached Images

1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #10

Talking So, can I have your Avatar?

Good luck with your new purchase. I have gotten the bug pretty bad in the last year, and am starting to look at 964's.

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
mts

I like the 964's too. A friend has a 1992 America Roadster that is really cool.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 08-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #12

993's are going to be very valuable in the future. Which means selling your Boxster to buy a 993 is a bit of misnomer since you don't really have to worry about mileage with the modern Porsche. The quantities of well-preserved air-cooled 911's are going to become a big issue. You've got many of these racers and parts shops taking apart the once road-going 993's -- reducing supply. and Restoring an old beater is not cheap, although it could be worth it in the long run. The 80's and 90's Carreras hit the sweet spot on power and styling. I'd say buy one for safe keeping. Boxsters OTOH are for driving, autocrossing and generally speaking 'wearing down to the bone'. Once you realize how valuable those air-cooled Carreras are becoming, and how much they'll cost to fix, you'll be driving it with white gloves and grimacing when the odometer heads higher. you'll be looking for another toy to get the pedal to the metal out of your system.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-16-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
993's are going to be very valuable in the future. Which means selling your Boxster to buy a 993 is a bit of misnomer since you don't really have to worry about mileage with the modern Porsche. The quantities of well-preserved air-cooled 911's are going to become a big issue. You've got many of these racers and parts shops taking apart the once road-going 993's -- reducing supply. and Restoring an old beater is not cheap, although it could be worth it in the long run. The 80's and 90's Carreras hit the sweet spot on power and styling. I'd say buy one for safe keeping. Boxsters OTOH are for driving, autocrossing and generally speaking 'wearing down to the bone'. Once you realize how valuable those air-cooled Carreras are becoming, and how much they'll cost to fix, you'll be driving it with white gloves and grimacing when the odometer heads higher. you'll be looking for another toy to get the pedal to the metal out of your system.
Not sure I agree with everything you've said. It could be applicable given someones particular situation, but I have a full time track car already. The Boxster was a weekend car and I was putting about 2-3k miles on it per year. I plan to do the same with a 993. I don't plan to purchase a concours level 993 to start with. It will get the same treatment as the Boxster S did......both will be driven hard, but within the confines of a weekend street car and it will be babied otherwise. The track car is the one that gets the snot driven out of it, but then it's got a full cage and is set-up for the abuse.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #14

Well my point was that at these current 986 prices guys are going in to race them, drive them daily or use it at the go-to summer car. In other words they aren't going to be treated like appreciating assets like a 993 or older. My theory is that a well preserved, low mileage (but not too low) air-cooled Carrera is substantially under-valued right now. They're kind of like Brazilian rainforest...quickly disappearing and the value of those cars to collectors and enthusiasts have not really awoken yet. In particular, I'm thinking of wealthy foreigners in emergin countries who are currently bidding up the prices on all luxury collector items. Porsche as a brand is only going to become a more cherished name around the world because unlike Mercs and BMW's these really are small production cars.

If I were to get into collecting cars tomorrow I'd be buying a few. Also, for the purposes of actual hard driving, a stripped down water-cooled Porsche may not be as visceral as an air-cooled Porsche but they provide quiet a ride for very little money (relativlely speaking) and GT1 Carrera engines are proven long-haulers. Too bad they didn't put that engine in the regular 911's.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-16-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
In particular, I'm thinking of wealthy foreigners in emergin countries who are currently bidding up the prices on all luxury collector items. Porsche as a brand is only going to become a more cherished name around the world because unlike Mercs and BMW's these really are small production cars.
Of course, in countries like China, Porsche is viewed primarily as a maker of SUV's and the Panamera, not so much as a sports car manufacturer. All those air-cooled collectibles are disappearing off to Europe, and should the dollar get strong again perhaps we will see them come back!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #16

True but its early early early days for high end cars over there. The size of the market is astounding...there will be more millionaires and billionaires over there than here before you know it. They dont even have to become anywhere near as popular as in Europe to raise the bidding well above where it is now. All it takes is one clever auction house to pair up with some of their status celebrities driving vintage Porsche and just like that the deep-pocket Asian fan base swells the market of buyers. Keeping up with the millionaire next door at the Shanghai Porsche club DE is going to be on a whole other level. And the super rich over here arent going to be doing to bad either·
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #17

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Maybe mts should tell all of us his selling methods !

Last edited by sierramoto; 08-16-2011 at 09:03 PM.
sierramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramoto
Maybe mts needs to tell everyone his selling method ! And don't forget mts...you got a measily $500 more than you were asking because apparently that meant more to you than being an honest gentleman when dealing with the potential buyers !

And if he doesn't, PM Me and I'll explain....
...I predict a banning in your future...
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #19

Good luck on the 993. I've looked at a few 993 Targas also, not a big fan of their clunky looking stock wheels but that could easily be fixed. They supposedly are like that due to the extra weight of the glass roof. The C4S's have gotten downright expensive IMO, those rear hips almost make them worth it though. TruSpeed always seems to have some very nice examples. As I'm sure you are aware, often the hunt is more fun than the purchase.....
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #20
mts

sierramoto,

Since you went there I feel the need to explain my side of our discussions involving my Boxster S since I've been on this forum for years. Almost immediately after I listed the car, I had 3 pretty quick calls on it. All potential buyers expressed interest. Sierramoto was the 3rd caller, but seemed to express the most interest of the three callers and over a day or two period we swapped some additional pictures and I gave him contact info for my local Porsche mechanic who was familiar with the car (I later found out he called the mechanic who said very nice things about the car and me). On one of our calls I expressly told sierramoto that I was surprised that I had as much interest as I did as quickly as I did, and that there were other interested parties but that none had made a formal offer. We also discussed some of the concerns he had about how he might get the vehicle if he decided to purchase it since he was on the other side of the country. All was very cordial and sierramoto seemed very good to deal with.

Late Tues night I received another call from the 1st caller and the 2nd caller. Both expressed more interest in the car and asked for more details. At this point still no formal offer on the car from anyone. Early last Wed Sierramoto sent me an email indicating he was very interested in the car and was likely going to make an offer. First he wanted to make arrangements to get a friend to come by and see the car. At that point which was about 2pm eastern on Wed, I emailed him back that other buyers were interested and that although I had no issue (in fact encouraged a PPI or having a friend come by) that I had concerns the car may not last if he needed to take a while to decide. I even expressed to sierromoto that I would love to end up dealing with him on the purchase as he seemed like he would be easier to work with than one of the other potential buyers.

I did not hear from sierramoto for the rest of Wed either by email or phone. On Wed night the 1st caller called back and wanted the car and made me a more than acceptable offer. I mentioned to him I had been in discussions with another buyer. The gentleman asked me if I had gotten any offers from that buyer, to which I could only respond no, that sierramoto had only indicated he probably would make and offer. At that point the 1st caller indicated he would have full payment verification to me on Thursday and would fly in to pick up the car on Friday and would make the transaction simple for me (he lived a lot closer to me than sierramoto). I accepted his offer to buy the car.

I got his payment verification on Thursday afternoon (still no call or email from sierramoto at this point). Once payment was verified I emailed sierramoto with the news and appologies but I could not turn down money in hand to wait for him to decide. I even went so far as to recommend another car like mine he might be able to buy (I know another 550 owner that was planning to sell his car this fall whose car is very, very similar to mine in modifications, etc). I did follow through with that and my understanding is that seller has already contacted sierramoto.

The transaction closed last Friday and the 1st caller did everything he said he would....I picked him up at the airport, we went through the car, he decided it was as advertised, gave me the cash and drove home on Friday. Once the deal closed I removed my Autotrader ad and posted the car sold here and on Rennlist (the 2 other places I had advertised).

After I emailed sierramoto that the car was sold, he has since called me a few times and left messages for me to call him to "discuss matters". Honestly, I don't see the point. A formal offer was accepted and the car is gone. There is nothing I can do at this point and nothing I would have done at the point the money was verified on Thursday and the 1st caller had gotten a plane ticket.

I honestly do feel bad sierramoto didn't get the car. However, I've put off potential buyers on other cars before because I was in "negotiations"with someone else only to lose the negotiating party and then lose the other potential buyers as well because they found something else in the meantime. In this instance sierramoto never made any kind of formal offer, or monetary offer of any kind for that matter. He was simply in the unfortunate situation of wanting a car that a more aggressive buyer also wanted.

I feel blessed that I had this much interest in the car so quickly and simply could not turn down "cash in hand" to wait for an offer from sierramoto which may or may not have worked out.

Ultimately the 1st caller was a older gentleman (and a war vet no less) who told me this would likely be the last Porsche he purchased in his lifetime. I didn't know any of this until he arrived to pick up the car. He was pleased with the car and I was pleased he got it. I feel comfortable it will be very well taken care of.

Sorry for the novel, but I do not plan to PM or call sierramoto.

sierramoto, good luck with your search for another car. I hope it works out well for you.

Mike

1997 911 Targa (sold)