Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Had to take 1999 boxster to shop :(

Need to clear engine light, car is showing codes 0410, 1411, 1313 thru 1319. Car is idling at stops and when down shifting to 1st and 2nd and to neutral it stalls. Also when I start the car ther is blue smoke that comes out the tail pipe like a cloud of blue smoke. Also the air filter was changed to a k and n filter (not oiled).
I left the car at porsche shop not dealer to check all these problems, what should I be looking out for or aware of? I am trying to avoid all this from turning into a huge mess. One other thing we found that 3 seals leak on the spark plug change we tried to clean and dry as much as possible? Any thoughts on what to keep in mind with the mechanic for example what he should be checking for or doing?

Last edited by wannagofast; 08-05-2011 at 12:16 PM.
wannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #2

The small puff of blue smoke is actually normal if the car has been sitting a few days. However, billowing blue smoke out the tailpipe and sputtering may be a cracked air-oil separator ($400 or so) or worse.

You can check the codes from a linked page on my web site, below...

These older boxsters like yours and mine, especially when purchased from owners who didn't keep up with maintenance and pre-emptive repairs, can be an expensive nightmare for the first year or two of ownership. Both have four wheels and go places, but Boxsters are certainly NOT Toyota Camrys. I'm betting you know that already though, but it's worth repeating for all the others who will read this thread in the future.

One last comment: Please consider editing your post and adding some blank lines between thoughts. You'll just get a LOT more friendly help from us if you take a few minutes to compose an easy-to-read thread. I know you're frazzled right now, but this will get you far more advice than leaving your thoughts above jumbled up in one very long paragraph.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-04-2011 at 05:45 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Garage
If you mean the sparkplug tubes are leaking oil inside the tubes this can cause a misfire if the oil gets past the coil boot seal to the sparkplug also K&N air filters can have excessive oil on them which often fouls the mass air sensor (MAF) so be sure the mechanic knows the K&N is in the car & the MAF may need to be cleaned. If these are the cause of the problem it won't cost much so wait for the estimate & post here for further advise.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #4

His K&N appears from his post to be dry. All your reported symptoms indicate leaking oil. Once your mechanic (hopefully it's someone you have a good relationship with) gives you the report you can take care of it.

If you haven't, I suggest a good dealership or, preferable to me, a good independent Porsche mechanic to keep your maintenance up to date (especially the majors) so when you have an issue you have someone you can trust to steer you right. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #5

Cloud of smoke indicates a bad AOS. To check it, remove the oil filler cap with the engine running, seal off the opening with your hand, you should feel just the slightest vacuum. If there is substantial vacuum, then its likely a bad aos.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000