Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Bulletproof Automotive?

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this company? I came across this site while surfing around and spotted an Aero Kit listing.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/catalog-detail.php?ID=6651

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I have not but I like the idea, the only thing is in their photo it looks like it was added on in the picture and isn't real...colors don't match and bumper doesn't line up on left front. What type of price are they looking for? I like the Aero kits but they are very expensive, if someone can come out with an exact aftermarket that would be nice...
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
As you can see from the page, they're one of those "inquire within" type of outfits that want you to contact them to find out the price. I sent an e-mail earlier this afternoon and I'm waiting to hear back...if I hear anything I'll be sure to update here. I like the Aerokits too for being functional and a nice look without being extreme, but the price tag's not so nice.

The other thing I'm curious about, since I don't see it outright in the photo, is whether this is a full kit that would also come with the necessary spoiler? I know I've read a few times that one isn't really supposed to use the ground effects without the rear spoiler, and vice versa.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 08-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Ok, finally got a response a few days ago from a gent named Jason representing Bulletproof Automotive...took about 3 business days not including the weekend (response on Aug. 8th from my email on the 3rd). I'll transcribe the e-mail I received:

"Hi (Me),

The 986 Full Aero Kit by Gruppe M is indeed still available from Gruppe M Japan.

Currently it looks as thought the aero kit can be purchased in individual parts. They all come prepped for paint (not painted) as international shipping is rough on painted items. Here is a quick breakdown of the parts you can choose from:

Front Aero Bumper (FRP) -- $2876.00
Front Aero Bumper (CF) -- $3886.00

Front Lip Spoiler (FRP) -- $1548.00
Side Skirt Set (FRP) -- $1674.00
Headlight Cover Set (FRP) -- $533.00
Rear Wing Spoiler (FRP) -- $1363.00
Aero Mirrors (FRP) -- $1019.00

You can check out some more pitures/information here:

http://www.gruppem.co.jp/ja/product/aero/aero_986.html

Let me know if you have any other specific questions I'm always happy to help. ETA for GruppeM aero is typically 8-12 weeks including production and overseas shipping from Japan to our warehouse in Los Angeles. The price does not include domestic shipping from LA to your location, but it does cover the international shipping.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Jason --------- | Consultant
Bulletproof Automotive..."

There's contact info and such following at the very end of the e-mail, but that's basically the deal...pretty hefty prices, a lot of which is probably shipping cost from Japan. So I think that pretty much hurts its chances of costing less than a legit AeroKit, because this isn't even taking into consideration paint and possible shipping unless you're local to them in Cali.

The Aero Bumper is a full bumper that's rather angular looking in its vent designs nd looks pretty unnatural on the car to me. The front lip looks like it flows a lot better, which is what is pictured in the link of my original post.

It would appear the spoiler used for this kit is the TechArt style spoiler that sits just in front of the retractable a few inches off the trunk lid, the kind that you have to pull the fuse for the spoiler to deactivate it because of the new spoiler's placement. So it is neither of the actual AeroKit spoiler styles.

Still, figured I'd share the information I got with you guys in case someone was interested, and since he offered, if any of you guys have any questions you want me to fire at him, let me know and I'll see what he has to say, or I can provide you with the contact info he gave.

EDIT: They also have listed on their site (Gruppe M, not Bulletproof) a carbon fiber hood that looks like it'd be about $2000 and a GT3 style front bumper in FRP for about $1900 (using a rather rough conversion from yen to US dollar). Those seem rather interesting.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 08-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Try fiberwerks located outside Orlando .
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #6

those prices are ridiculous. dealers sell the OEM poly stuff for cheaper. if you're patient, you can find real steals, too. i got my OEM polyurethane GT3 nose for $800.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote