Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Mass Air Flow Sensor Question

I am very confused. I have diagnosed my CEL and need to replace the MAF Sensor. I have a 2000 base boxster. When I go anywhere to order one, there are two available. One is for a car with M620 e-accelartor and one is for a car that does not have this. I assume this is an electonic accelarator instead of a cable configeration. How do I know which one I have? It must be that they changed this midyear production.
I can use my chassis number to find our also but where do I find the chassis number?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Attached Images

fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #2

If your car is model year 2000, it is ...

... an e-gas car.
But there are also 2 different versions in e-gas MAFs.
But, the question is: How did you determine that you need a new MAF?
A simple OBD-II code does not determine a bad MAF.
It has to be diagnosed together with different symptoms.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

I have had it to a indy and he determined it was a MAF issue. We smoke tested it and checked the AOS. He feels it is a MAF gone wrong. I keep getting a p1128 and p1130 code after the CEL comes on. No other issues. It runs strong otherwise. Any other advise would be appreciated but these codes have been discussed on here many times with no definitive answers. If it is a MAF I can put a new one in myself and save the labor.

Thanks for the input.
fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
I have had it to a indy and he determined it was a bosch mass air flow sensor issue. We smoke tested it and checked the AOS. He feels it is a MAF gone wrong. I keep getting a p1128 and p1130 code after the CEL comes on. No other issues. It runs strong otherwise. Any other advise would be appreciated but these codes have been discussed on here many times with no definitive answers. If it is a MAF I can put a new one in myself and save the labor.

Thanks for the input.
Bump. That alone, can it be confirmed that the MAF is the culprit here? I am as well encountering the same thing. I may need a new MAF then. Sorry for the thread bump.

Last edited by kotto; 06-30-2012 at 09:16 PM.
kotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #5

My problem turned out to be solved by new MAF sensor. Changed it and all is well since. I will say that after smoking the engine we did find a 4 in cut in the oil fill tube also. Fixed it first and then continued to get the codes. New MAF solved that.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #6

CEL and MAF

I get the same codes after AOS failed and sent oil into the throttle body. I cleaned the MAF and throttle body. It seemed OK for a while. Thought it was a vacuum leak (hard to track down with out the smoker). I think I will try to clean the MAF again before shelling out for a new MAF.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Homeboy981

Garage
Similar issues here…thanks for the thread!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #8

I tried cleaning the MAF a couple of times but a new one did the trick. At least by puting in new one I would know if that is the issue or not. I purchased it from my indy and he told me if that did not resolve the issue he would put the old one back and refund me. You might ask for the same.