Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

02 Boxster clutch problem?

Hello I have an 02 Boxster with 86,000 miles. I recently drove the car to a friends house and everything was fine, when I went to leave the clutch started slipping and finally went altogether. There were no signs of a problem previous to this. No slipping, no grinding, and no smell of a burning clutch. The pedal has pressure and you can hear it going into gear when you shift it. However it just acts like it's in neutral. Any ideas? THANKS!!!

mikesaletnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #2

Mike,

You may have a CV joint that became loose, check underneath and if this is the cause they are pretty simple to reattach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesaletnik
Hello I have an 02 Boxster with 86,000 miles. I recently drove the car to a friends house and everything was fine, when I went to leave the clutch started slipping and finally went altogether. There were no signs of a problem previous to this. No slipping, no grinding, and no smell of a burning clutch. The pedal has pressure and you can hear it going into gear when you shift it. However it just acts like it's in neutral. Any ideas? THANKS!!!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Sometimes that happens. Get thee to a mechanic and get the clutch checked out.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #4

Hi,

This is exactly what happened to me a couple months ago.

Just went in a flash. New clutch and new dual mass flywheel. 3000€

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

2002 S of mine 120,000 km's started as a soft clutch peddle then slipped at higher load. The pressure plate once removed I found half the fingers about a quarter inch out of wack with the other. So I ordered clutch disc and pressure plate and most importantly the disc alignment tool.

I did the replacement myself and it was the easiest clutch I ever changed! CJ 5 jeep, TJ jeep, F-150, and Honda Civic I have done in the past. Other then one bell housing bolt with irregular head (special socket, which air grinder looked after and regular bolt replaced it). Really it was simple and straight forward if your comfortable spinning wrenches.

jack stands and floor jack used, basic hand tools. The Boxster tips book from Pelican walks ya through it pretty good.

Pressure plate collapsed is what it sounds like

prairiefire is offline   Reply With Quote