Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #1

Wet seats

I have discovered that my driver seat carpet (in the back) is wet. This has happened before but I found out too late. By that time my alarm was going all crazy on its own and the doors were locking/unlocking like crazy. Turns out the alarm system had fried due to water damage. Fortunately, I was able to get all the damage covered by insurance.

I haven't been home in about 2 weeks and had forgotten to put the cover on the car. I am in florida and there has been a lot of rain here almost daily. I took my car out today for a spin and was curious about the carpet and sure enough it is wet again. I can't detect any damage yet, but I really don't want to deal with it. When I took the car in to the dealership last time because of the damage, they cleaned out the drains. How can I do this? Also, it's only on the drivers side.

Not sure if this is a coincidence, but I was recently working on the car and accidentally tore off about 2 inches of part 996-572-931-00 (cowl gasket for windshield) on the drivers side. Not sure if this is related or not since 2 inches seems pretty small when you consider the entire length of the windshield.

Any help or reference to a walkthrough would be appreciated.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #2

Garage
Do a search on on this forum or google and you'll find some good advice and instructions on cleaning the drains. I can't remember if my owner's manual tells you how. Here's an old old link:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13132&highlight=drain

Also check the drain pan around the top while it's in the service position. On my 2000MY they are foam and one had a tear that was letting water into passenger side. Waterproof tape solved that.

Last edited by bmcuscgr94; 07-27-2011 at 01:55 PM.
bmcuscgr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #3

I have the bentley and all it shows is where the drains are located (which I now know) and to clean them. It doesn't actually give you a procedure. I also spoke to the dealership and they said that they have high power blowers to shoot everything out. Not sure how I can use that myself.

Last edited by Viper5; 07-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

Would using a "snake" product for the drain be useful? I don't know what the drains are made of and I don't want to tear anything.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
Would using a "snake" product for the drain be useful? I don't know what the drains are made of and I don't want to tear anything.
Personally I wouldn't use anything metal. I've used an air hose. I've heard of using the plastic string trimmer line.

bmcuscgr94 is offline   Reply With Quote