Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #1

That elusive oil leak

Hi,

I have an oil leak, it leaks in the middle of the engine. Every morning I see 2-3 drops of oil on my garage floor.

My first though was RMS and I acccepted that I'm gonna wait until the clutch change to fix it.

However I installed Pedro's technotorque2 this weekend and I noticed that the oil is coming from the top of the engine, there was a paddle of oil under the oil filler tube, just to the left of AOS.

The problem I have is I cann't figure out how to reproduce the problem. I wrapped oil filler tube with paper towel and run the engine through RPMs and it was dry..

I feel the smell of oil every time I redline the car while driving to work.. but in the garage no matter what I do I cann't see any oil.

How do I reproduce the oil leak from filler tube? is it happening only when the car under load? I cann't drive with paper towels on top of the engine..

My car is a 2000 boxster 2.7L with 76K miles. I changed AOS 8 month ago so it shouldn't be AOS.

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #2

You'll have to ...

... inspect carefully.
First check around the oil cooler to make sure that that's not where the oil is coming from. Inspect carefully with a flashlight and a small mirror, so you can see behind and under the cooler.
Then inspect the oil filler tube itself.
They tend to crack and will leak oil on top of the engine when:
a) you put oil into the engine through the rear trunk's oil fill
b) you generate enough revs and motion in the car so that oil creeps up the tube
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks Pedro!

BTW I can describe you technotorque with 4 letter OMFG!

It's unbelievable how much better the car feels now, it's smoother, so much easier to drive in traffic, I can feel more power right of the start, when you depress the cluch.

And the best thing... on highway, in 5th gear.. car doesn't feel limp anymore! it just goes.
It's too soon to talk about mpg, but based on half a tank of gas used.. I'd say about 2mpg improvement.

Technotorque is a must for these cars, it make it so much more enjoyable

Thanks
Sasha
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

Happy to hear...

... most people get a 1.5 - 2.0 mpg better mileage.
Some people complain that the gar now gets worse mileage, since they're enjoying the extra Torque and keeping their right foot down more
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #5

can i get a link to this Technotorque?
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Rockster
can i get a link to this Technotorque?

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoTorque.html
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Hi,

I have an oil leak, it leaks in the middle of the engine. Every morning I see 2-3 drops of oil on my garage floor.

My first though was RMS and I acccepted that I'm gonna wait until the clutch change to fix it.

However I installed Pedro's technotorque2 this weekend and I noticed that the oil is coming from the top of the engine, there was a paddle of oil under the oil filler tube, just to the left of AOS.

The problem I have is I cann't figure out how to reproduce the problem. I wrapped oil filler tube with paper towel and run the engine through RPMs and it was dry..

I feel the smell of oil every time I redline the car while driving to work.. but in the garage no matter what I do I cann't see any oil.

How do I reproduce the oil leak from filler tube? is it happening only when the car under load? I cann't drive with paper towels on top of the engine..

My car is a 2000 boxster 2.7L with 76K miles. I changed AOS 8 month ago so it shouldn't be AOS.

Thanks
Sasha
That sounds like a cracked oil fill tube. They usually crack in the articulated bend that is located close to the firewall.
Some cracks on this tube are hard to find and they only leek when the engine is running and the oil is under pressure.
It's a bit of a PITA to replace this tube. But if you did the AOS...
jmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
... inspect carefully.
First check around the oil cooler to make sure that that's not where the oil is coming from. Inspect carefully with a flashlight and a small mirror, so you can see behind and under the cooler.
Then inspect the oil filler tube itself.
They tend to crack and will leak oil on top of the engine when:
a) you put oil into the engine through the rear trunk's oil fill
b) you generate enough revs and motion in the car so that oil creeps up the tube
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Pedro, my hose is leaking at the spring clamp. Could it be not enough clamping pressure on the hose, if so would a new clamp do it? If not, how difficult is it to raplace the filler hose? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

I was able to do my AOS because there are a lot of wonderfull DIY guides, however for Oil tube I couldn't find any guides
I think for this one I'll let a mechanic do it

Sasha