Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

How about that heat!

When people ask me why I don't drive my boxster top down or top up in 100+ degree heat and high humidity, I don't think they really understand how freakin' hot the cabin becomes with just a thin black piece of canvas 2 inches above one's head.

However, now that much of the country is experiencing the kind of humid heat Houstonians endure 5-6 months a year, folks are quiet! They've all but stopped asking me why I don't drive my car around for "pleasure" on Saturday and Sunday afternoons!

Man I hope this heat wave doesn't last all the way through to October down here like it usually does.

You know, I never though a tropical storm would be a welcome sight until this summer. It would bring a welcome relief from the heat for a few days.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
When people ask me why I don't drive my boxster top down or top up in 100+ degree heat and high humidity, I don't think they really understand how freakin' hot the cabin becomes with just a thin black piece of canvas 2 inches above one's head.

However, now that much of the country is experiencing the kind of humid heat Houstonians endure 5-6 months a year, folks are quiet! They've all but stopped asking me why I don't drive my car around for "pleasure" on Saturday and Sunday afternoons!

Man I hope this heat wave doesn't last all the way through to October down here like it usually does.

You know, I never though a tropical storm would be a welcome sight until this summer. It would bring a welcome relief from the heat for a few days.
As of yesterday, we've had 78 minutes over 80F this year. So I guess we're missing all the fun. But I can imagine that no matter how bad it is for the rest of the country, it's always worse in Houston.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Well, it's typically hotter and more humid in Houston than other cities, but we're really no different from New Orleans or Orlando... I pity the people who live there as much as any Houstonian.

Now our January and February (and sometimes March) months, if not too wet, are stellar top-down driving months. Not a snowflake to be found. But month after month of this heat and humidity just makes one forget those days for some reason. There's just not enough of them in comparison.

I'm betting I'd get depressed with all the drizzle type rain you guys get in Seattle.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I'm betting I'd get depressed with all the drizzle type rain you guys get in Seattle.
We like to hear people say that.

Not that it isn't rediculously crowded here already.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Its always top down weather here in LA - today was 84F, clear and sunny with no humidity.

Might be the land of commie government and enviro nazi's, but the weather is fantastic!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

Garage
Yea, It hit 74 in Santa Maria today (the high temp)... Now it's 59. This is typical weather 9 months of the year.

With all the heat in the news I'm thinking twice about taking a road trip to Michigan next week, the Boxster might melt!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

at least you're gettin' some rain in Houston
was there last week and when it started drizzling, I almost forgot what it was that was falling from the sky!

my car hates this heat...
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #8

22 straight days over 100 here in Dallas.
No rain in 30 days.

I hear Chicago had nearly 7" of rain today. That's trouble.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #9

Hi, it's +21C degrees and humidity is about 75% here in Finland. It's a great weather to drive top down

Okey, few months and it's snowing here, but the winter is a great opportunity to service and tune the Boxster for the next summer.

Must go cruising now (before it's starts to snow)...

Kind regards
Juha
ketsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:21 AM   #10

Garage
It's been so hot up here in New England that I had to shed the leather jumpsuit for something more comfortable .
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 07-24-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #11

It's been hot in the OMA too. Most times during the summer I drive to work in the mornings with the top down because the temps are nice. There were a couple of days this week that I didn't want to because it was already very hot. The Cayman and Boxster ACs have a hard time keeping up when the temp approaches 100. It was in the low 90s Fri and you could really tell the difference, the AC could do it's job. But I always say it beats -10 deg.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #12

Been in Houston in the summer and live in South Florida, and your humidity does not impress...

Heat index is usually over 100 and the sun is far stronger.

I daily drive convertibles and have for the past 10 years. The 986 is just the nicest one so far. I would drive this car in any kind of heat. My AC is pretty effective even in stop and go traffic. I am usually doing 75mph on my commute and the AC is quite cold. I don't drive with the top down, unless the sun is down...

I am not sure I would daily this car in snow, but that's not my problem.

I don't understand why you can't enjoy your car year round. Do you stay indoors all summer? It's hot everywhere, so turn the AC up and if it's too hot for you, start the car and let it cool down while you stay inside in the AC.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #13

Maj, some of my problem is the fact that I have no natural insulation up top (bald!) so the black convertible top just radiates heat inside the cockpit on hot days.

Your word choice is odd... "Impressive humidity" beyond 95% isn't impressive to me, just oppressive!

I also have a strong aversion to heat and avoid it like the plague whenever possible. I do not want to learn how to live in it and frankly, I would love to move away from this hot, humid, crowded, traffic-laden and property tax-burdened place called Houston... and that shows.

Alas, I must remain here until my wife comes to the same conclusion because living in a cooler, drier, and more topography-pleasing place (mountains or hills with twisty roads) without her would be far worse than living here.

I would never move to Florida. Can't stand the place. No offense. It's just more of the same as far as I'm concerned. And you have brilliantly shown me that it may be worse and that drives the nail into the board even more.

I really do believe I was displaced at birth. I should have remained in Pennsylvania where I was born. I just had very little choice in the matter when I was 2 months old and my family moved to Dallas, then down further to Houston.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #14

I don't know how close you are to retiring, Randall, but we're about seven years away from it. Like you, I hate the heat, and I also detest the extreme cold and snow. I'm definitely living in the wrong climate as we have blistering heat in the summer and frigid cold with deep snow for most of the winter.

My wife and I recently took a trip to Panama, specifically the Cerro Azul area just outside Panama City. At about 2500 ft of elevation, it has, for me, the perfect climate, ranging between 65 and 80 degrees, every day, all year round. Rainy season, most days, is a brief shower in the afternoon and sunny the rest of the day. Property prices and general cost of living is a fraction of what it is here. The roads are first rate (what we saw anyway) and there is a Porsche dealer right in Panama City.

We are seriously considering moving there permanently when we retire. There are many programs and discounts for retirees and the Panamanian government is actively promoting the country as a retirement destination. It's something you might want to have a look at. Granted, living in a third world Spanish-speaking country isn't for everyone but we thought it was paradise and we can't wait to go back.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Hey, Randall, how about Missouri? Plenty of elevation changes and nice turns in the road (at least right up past Arkansas where I ventured into it), makes for some great scenery for joyrides, and for the area I was in I've made it a point to come back there with the Boxster to really enjoy those turns and hills (because a Toyota Tacoma just didn't cut it. )

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #16

Here in Great ol'e Mo.

It gets hot and steamy by 9am.
Go ahead and ask..."how hot does it get?"
It's so hot, that we keep getting water mains broken from the asphalt buckling asphalt.
It's so hot, the aliens stop coming down to build crop circles. :dance:
442nd986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #17

It was 106 F here in Md/D.C. the other day.

And it was 98-103 F all weekend over hear. Today is much cooler. I think 95F.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #18

I'm up here with Blue. Today was cold and wet like usual. I usually commute on the Motorcycle these days. But I tend to go the opposite way. I leave the top down under most conditions. Even rain and snow! (as long as I'm moving at a decent speed at least)

I envy the sun but I don't envy the heat.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #19

Im melting.

How is it so much cooler in LA and California?

Its been 100+ the last 2 weeks here in southeastern VA with humidity nearing 100% each day!! What I really hate is that when the sun goes down, the humidity still keeps it around 90 or more at night O.O!

Since I dress business for work, I haven't been able to ride top down for 2 weeks!!
I'd sweat everywhere.

Thank you porsche. My 987 cools down in 2-3 mins when recirculate that AC no matter what the outside temps. This has to be the best air conditioner in the world
Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #20

Mark, I've lived abroad before and wouldn't do it again. Before you and your wife decide to do this, rent a place there for 1-2 years and see if you can make friends, get along with the locals, warm up to a totally different culture, and live that far away from your existing friends and family. You may change your mind.

Plus, the more "wealthy" (by comparison) Americans move to Panama, there will be increases in hostage ransoms, armed robbery, and so forth. That's not a risk I want to take, and driving around in a Porsche is just about the fastest way to stick out in a crowd of poor people who want what you have and aren't willing to work for it the way you did.

Overdrive, I've been to MO a couple of times and it does seem pretty, but I'm kinda stuck on North Carolina.

Once again, I was using my new realtor.com app on my iPad to find amazing homes on the lake or in the mountains in Robbinsville, at the base of the Tail of the Dragon. They're priced at the same general price my home here in Houston is worth now. Nice thing is they won't keep rising in value the way my inner-city property and home will near downtown Houston in one of the most desirable neighborhoods, so I just might have a shot and selling here and paying cash there. Having the TOD in my back yard sounds like my kind of retirement!

I moved 75 heavy boxes and furniture today from my warehouse to my father in law's house in the burbs in 100+ temps, reinforcing my hatred of this place.

The rest of the country is experiencing a couple of week's worth of what we have for nearly six freaking months out of every year. At least the guys in FL have a nice beach to go to when they want it. All we have is a toilet bowl called Galveston, containing nasty brown water, tar balls in the sand, and the highest concentration of welfare recipients in the state.

Yeah, I know. I'm bitter.