Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

986 passenger door won't lock

Hello everyone, I am new but I love this forum! I have learned so much over the past few weeks. Although, you read enough about about problems paranoia kicked in when I picked up a 1997 Boxster yesterday hearing things that weren't there! Anyway, my issue is that hitting the lock button locks the gas cover but not the doors and i get a beep beep. When I open the passenger door the light comes on and the window goes down but nothing with the drivers door. I can lock the drivers door with the key but the passenger one doesn't lock. I read that turning the key in the drivers door 3x quickly to lock works, but it didn't. Is there a manual way to lock the passenger door?Also did the 97 have a keyless entry? All I have is what looks like a spare key with a small black top. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the 101 Boxster book on Amazon today but playing the waiting game for that.

Geedavey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #2

The double beep is the computer telling you there is a fault. What the fix is, i don't know.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #3

Two things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geedavey76
Hello everyone, I am new but I love this forum! I have learned so much over the past few weeks. Although, you read enough about about problems paranoia kicked in when I picked up a 1997 Boxster yesterday hearing things that weren't there! Anyway, my issue is that hitting the lock button locks the gas cover but not the doors and i get a beep beep. When I open the passenger door the light comes on and the window goes down but nothing with the drivers door. I can lock the drivers door with the key but the passenger one doesn't lock. I read that turning the key in the drivers door 3x quickly to lock works, but it didn't. Is there a manual way to lock the passenger door?Also did the 97 have a keyless entry? All I have is what looks like a spare key with a small black top. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the 101 Boxster book on Amazon today but playing the waiting game for that.

... it looks like you only got the valet key or your car didn't come equipped with remote keyless entry.

Also, it seems that the passenger's side door lock is faulty. You'll have to test it and see.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geedavey76
I read that turning the key in the drivers door 3x quickly to lock works, but it didn't.
one turn is lock. two turns is lock + disable alarm. and yes, three quick turns (emergency operation) "will lock all functioning elements of the central locking system" and turn off the infrared passenger compartment monitoring.

[/QUOTE]All I have is what looks like a spare key with a small black top. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

that sounds like the spare/valet key. look at the picture below. if it's like "B" then it's the spare/valet key. if it's like "A" then it's the main key. if it has no buttons and a small light on the head, then the head is for a car without remote control.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #5

Thank you all so much! Ok, I definitely have key B so I am assuming that I am supposed to have A also. Is there a trick to testing the passenger door? I also noticed that the red light never blinks, not sure if that's relevant.
Geedavey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #6

Remote locking not working

[QUOTE=tonycarreon;253344]one turn is lock. two turns is lock + disable alarm. and yes, three quick turns (emergency operation) "will lock all functioning elements of the central locking system" and turn off the infrared passenger compartment monitoring.

---

This forum is brilliant, thank you for the above tip!

The remote control button on my one and only key was working when I picked up my W reg Boxster yesterday from the car dealer (operated by dealer not me). The remote is not working now, the led on key and the dashboard light up. Locking by key only locks driver door and not the passenger door or fuel filler lid.

So, the only way I manage to lock both doors and the filler cap is using the three quick turns emergency operation (thank you so much for the quoted tip!). Could anyone now help me find out what the problem is with my remote central locking please (remote battery is brand new)?

Many thanks in advance.
Buddy
buddybuddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #7

[QUOTE=tonycarreon;253344]one turn is lock. two turns is lock + disable alarm. and yes, three quick turns (emergency operation) "will lock all functioning elements of the central locking system" and turn off the infrared passenger compartment monitoring.

---

This forum is brilliant, thank you for the above tip!

The remote control button on my one and only key was working when I picked up my W reg Boxster yesterday from the car dealer (operated by dealer not me). The remote is not working now, the led on key and the dashboard light up. Locking by key only locks driver door and not the passenger door or fuel filler lid.

So, the only way I manage to lock both doors and the filler cap is using the three quick turns emergency operation (thank you so much for the quoted tip!). Could anyone now help me find out what the problem is with my remote central locking please (remote battery is brand new)?

Many thanks in advance.
Buddy

buddybuddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote