Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Non P question.. Corvette C6 suspension

I had the opportunity to drive a friend of mine ’07 Corvette C6 and it was a really nice car, impressive torque and a nicely precise (a bit notchy) gearbox

However, I noticed that the C6 suspension was much stiffer than the Cayman and while the side roads on Long island are really beautiful, some of them are not perfectly smooth, upsetting the suspension if you hit a bump on the middle of a turn.

I remember that I was very impressed with the ride on my CS after installing the KW-V3 coilovers, because besides of allowing me to lower the car (I went about 1”), the ride was much better than the OEM suspension.

The question here is could the ride on the Corvette C6 be improved as well by installing a good set of coilovers? That way you can adjust the suspension to have a smoother ride on the street but a firmer one for the DE events

BTW, I know that this is not a Corvette forum but perhaps someone here has a recommended brand of coilovers for the C6.

Thank you.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

Garage
You should drive a C6 with the adjustable suspension. I think it's called "Magnetronic" it's the best technology for rapidly adjusting shock valving, debuted on the Corvette in 2003.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #3

I had a C6 for 5 years (just sold it) and the basic spring rate is not exceptionally harsh. It's about the same as my Boxster but the Corvette tires have the general hardness of bricks. Non-runflat tires make a huge difference, especially with small abrupt bumps like expansion joints.

Go over to the Corvette forum and you'll get plenty of answers about the coil overs. They are good cars and much less troublesome than a Boxster (in my personal experience).

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote