Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

About to buy 2001 Boxster- advice needed

Hello,
I have just taken a test drive in a 2001 Porsche Boxster. It seems to run great. It's Black/Black, convertible....price is $8,300. A lot lower than the blue book suggests. I'm a little nervous- it seems like a great deal. (It's on the local car lot)

Wondered if anyone could advise on the 2001 Boxster....if it goes wrong, am I going to be throwing money at it every month? It's got 120,000 on the clock.

I'd really appreciate some advice from the people who know Porsches best.

Thanks,

JM

klingtpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

Imho

Since it's on the local used car lot, I'll assume there are no maintenance records available. However, even with meticulous records, I would not feel comfortable with a Boxster that someone else put 120K on. More than likely it will be a money pit.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

I highly recommend the following:

Make sure you have 2 keys. Extra keys are $400+

I would look at the lable under the front hood and cross refrence the "porsche option codes" online to see what is missing or added that isn't original.

Being that it has that many miles (12k per year is the US average) it looks like it was defenitly a daily driver. That being said, unless the car comes with all the service history, be prepared to spend over $2k on overdue "preventative maintance". Oil changes, brakes, struts, belts, hoses, water pump, fuel filter, motor mount, possible IMS or RMS???

Don't trust Carfax or what the dealer tells you in service work or accidents.

I mention these things because I recently (March '11) purchased my Box S and only found out these things after the fact.
I didn't think I would miss the 2nd key, but I do.
I lucked out, but I should have checked the "porsche option codes" prior to purchasing. All the options where still in the car. I.E. windscreen, color crest, electric/heated seats, wheels....ect.
As for the service records, I'm lost and now have to assume that the previous 2 owners DIDN'T invest in the car and now I have to do all the 90-100k mile check up/replacement parts. I know that "if it ain't broke, why fix it", but I don't want to be out on a long trip to find out.....ops it's broken, lets try to find a mechanic open on the weekend.
Luckly for the both of us and the rest that use this site, there's a vast group of knowledgeable people on this site that are willing to help out.

BTW, mine is a '01 Boxster S, bought it with 84k miles for $14k. Fully loaded minus the extra key. lol

Last edited by 442nd986s; 07-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.
442nd986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks for your advice. I'm having it taken for a PPI- which they say costs 300 including the compression etc. Worth it, I'm sure.

I'm sure there are no service records. Good words on the key....!

When you mentioned the Options....are we looking to see if anything has been taken out?

Thanks again
Old 07-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

You are doing the right thing...

... by investing in a PPI.
A good PPI report will cover everything that you need to know to make an informed decision.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

"When you mentioned the Options....are we looking to see if anything has been taken out?"

Yes. Or often the dealer or seller will say that a car has a certain option when it does not (M030 Sport Suspension is a typical one).

Look at the underside of the front trunk and you'll find the factory label. This contains the VIN, the model, the paint and interior color codes, and the options codes.

The list of option codes can be found here: http://www.964uk.com/Documents/Porsche%20Option%20Codes.pdf

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-15-2011 at 02:10 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #7

About the option code, mine says I have option 030 sport suspention group. Does it means I'm supposed to have M030 suspention? How can I check that?

wawa
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

Okay, I am having the boxster given a PPI at a respected place nearby today. The dealer offered to have the car 'looked over' by their garage, who surprisingly, said it's 'perfect'! (though they admitted it needs a new gas cap and air filter).

Car fax report says he's had it regularly maintained up until 2006, then...silence. Dealer suggested he'd looked after it at a 'private mechanic'. Or perhaps not at all.

I'd love to share here the findings of the PPI....see what you guys think- worth becoming a member of your fine Porsche owners club or not?.....

Thanks again
Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #9

FYI: there are guys here, who have gone over 200K miles and still there ride going a strong. You just never know.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
FYI: there are guys here, who have gone over 200K miles and still there ride going a strong. You just never know.
Yea, I have over 212,500 miles on my 2001 and I will be taking it on a road trip from California to Michigan (then back) starting in two weeks. Yes, it has the original motor.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote