Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #1

Wink Aftermarket Seats - Opinions

Hi All,
What kind of aftermarket seats do each of you have and what are your opinions?

I'm looking into purchasing a pair such as Sparcos, Corbeaus or Recaros. Anybody have any recommendation on where to buy any of them cheap as well???

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #2

GT2 seats are the only aftermarket ones that I have seen on here. They look really nice if you have the cash to drop on them.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:48 AM   #3

related thought - can anyone with aftermarket seats confirm whether or not they actually give more headroom for the tall folks?
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #4

I had one friend that put in some sparcos in another car. He said it lowered his seat an inch or two. If that's the case, it should give taller people such as myself more headroom.

I'm looking for a seat that can give me more comfort and control with more headroom and reduced weight. Oh I forgot to mention to make my car look even hotter! hehehe.

I'm really hoping someone can direct me to a business that can sell it to me dirt cheap!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #5

Here's the thing about aftermarket seats: You need to go see them in person and SIT in them!.

Just like helmets, racing seats need to be test-fitted to ensure that they fit you right. If you don't do this, you could end up with a seat that feels wrong or doesn't cup you properly.

You'll want to go to some local race supply stores and sit in a bunch of seats. Once you find one that fits you right and has the features you want, you can start shopping around on the 'net for a good price, if need be.

You're almost guaranteed that all aftermarket seats will sit lower than a stock seat.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:33 AM   #6

GT3 Recaro: THere is no subsitute

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 AM   #7

Niostyle: I too live in Houston! We should get together. There are two other forum participants who live here. MLegere and one other.

Hey, if your factory seats are black and in better condition than mine, I'll buy them from you if the price is right. PM me on this if you're interested.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #8

Perfectlap: are you vertically challenged? The reason I ask is the pic you posted shows the seats quite far forward. Do you normally drive with them in this position?

The other question would be if your new seats give more lateral leg room or can be extended further back than the factory seats.

My seat position is ok for me, but taller friends hate driving the car. I guess this is a good thing, huh?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Niostyle: I too live in Houston! We should get together. There are two other forum participants who live here. MLegere and one other.

Hey, if your factory seats are black and in better condition than mine, I'll buy them from you if the price is right. PM me on this if you're interested.
Hey Sounds good let me know if the others want to get together. I sometimes go to the Local PCA club when they go on trips. I really wonder how many are participating there.

As far as the original seats, I'm keeping them so that if I sell my car, I could take out the aftermarket ones and place into another car (i'd just have to buy the correct brackets).

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get any of these aftermarket seats for less?

I know there's a very good sale on some Tan Leather Sparco seats from $1,300 to $650 a seat. If anyone is interested, I'll tell you where.