Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #1

Does this hurt the suspension??

As many know, I'm doing the water pump/motor mount thing (separate thread). I've got most of my replacement parts, but the motor mount is not scheduled to show up until Monday, and we'll be gone. (A week at the Jersey shore, with extended family.)

Anyway, the Box is on jack stands (has been for like a week), rear end way up, with the back wheels just dangling in the air. Does this cause any problems in the suspension? I guess I'm probably primarily talkin' about shocks here (can't imagine it'll hurt the springs)?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #2

It is not recommended that the Boxster be in long term storage with the suspension unsprung. If you're only talking about a couple-few weeks, I think you'll be fine.

The thought process here is that the unsprung suspension causes parts to be exposed to air for extended periods of time. Not ideal.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #3

Yeah, I kinda thought that might be the case. Not sure how much choice I have. I'd lower it back down to the ground, but I still have no motor mount in it. The engine's being supported by the scissor jack...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #4

"Long term" here is defined as months and months, as in during winter storage in a cold climate. A few weeks I wouldn't even begin to worry about, especially if it's in a shop or garage with reasonably low humidity.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #5

Don't worry ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
As many know, I'm doing the water pump/motor mount thing (separate thread). I've got most of my replacement parts, but the motor mount is not scheduled to show up until Monday, and we'll be gone. (A week at the Jersey shore, with extended family.)

Anyway, the Box is on jack stands (has been for like a week), rear end way up, with the back wheels just dangling in the air. Does this cause any problems in the suspension? I guess I'm probably primarily talkin' about shocks here (can't imagine it'll hurt the springs)?

... about a few days.
It's recommended that you don't store long--term, but a few days won't hurt anything.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro