Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Current Cars

Power steering sound ?

Anyone ever hear a weird noise when turning the steering wheel certain ways. It seems like a power steering fluid issue. I added more fluid and still get the same sound. Is there a difference of the brand of fluid you use ? Also would it be best to drain the old out and refill ? If yes how ?

Neekk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Garage
What area of the car is the weird noise coming from? Is it a high pitched noise or grinding noise? Are there vibrations anywhere?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Current Cars

More of a grinding and the noise comes from the steering wheel area.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #4

Garage
Hard to tell if it’s a fluid issue but the recommended power steering fluid is Pentosin CHF 11S. To drain the system you would have to get underneath the car, remove the underbody plastic shield, and disconnect the fluid pressure and return lines. Then there is a process for filling the system by starting and stopping the motor and turning the wheel back and forth to the stops, all while checking the level in the reservoir.

Is the power steering reservoir full? Do you see any foaming in the reservoir?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
Current Cars

I will take a look to see if there is foaming...Yes def sounds like a process to drain and refil.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #6

I'm getting a couple of nasty sounds that I think are coming from the PS system. It only happens when the motor compartment is hot. Generally it wil squeal at idle if I heat soak the car by letting it sit for 10 minutes after a hot shut down. I noticed the PS tanks was slightly low (about 3/4" below full) so I bought some CHF11S and slightly overfilled it. Didn't help much if at all. I tried sucking fluid from the tank with a turkey baster and filling with fresh but not much help either.

I pulled the access panel behind the seats and started the motor when it was in the heat soaked condition and I think it's coming from the PS pump but I can't totally rule out something in the same area of the motor.

I also get a little squeak/hiss sound, like pressure bleeding down in a hydraulic system when I shut off the motor in hot conditions. I can't rule out the Tip. The car doesn't like a hot engine compartment even though the fan works at the right times. I had some cooler weather last week and no funny sounds at all then.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote