Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #1

Garage
Question Seat height adjuster repair

I recently picked up an '03 986S with standard seats, and the driver side seat height adjuster seems to be broken. I can make the adjustment on the passenger side without any issues. The driver side lever moves freely and does not appear to be connected to anything.

Any thoughts about what the issue might be? I would really like to get this resolved as it's stuck at full up and that is way too high for my comfort!

Thanks.

vitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #2

i have the same issue with my 03S . if the plastic lever is not broken you can fiddle with it until you catch the threads. then sit in the seat but lift your ass up so as to not put weight on the seat then adjust . the weight on the seat make the mechanism tough to free with the fragile plastic lever.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
i have the same issue with my 03S . if the plastic lever is not broken you can fiddle with it until you catch the threads. then sit in the seat but lift your ass up so as to not put weight on the seat then adjust . the weight on the seat make the mechanism tough to free with the fragile plastic lever.
Thanks for the tips. Although the plastic lever does not appear to be broken, no amount of fiddling will make it engage the mechanism, so it looks like some more involved sear repair will be needed.

Has anyone done this kind of repair? Is it pretty straightforward to take the seat apart?
vitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

Garage
Just looked at the backside of the lever with a mirror, and it appear that it's still connected to the cable that goes to the gas strut (same as on the passenger side), so I guess that means the seat needs to come out for further inspection.

The exploded view is at: http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/817-45.php
Old 07-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

I had the same problem last January when I got my new to me 2000 S home. You will have to take the seat out to fix it. (At least I did.) The porblem is the metal shaft the plastic lever connects to will slide out of the lever. Just lightly tap it back in. That is all there is to it.

Last edited by Idaho Red Rocket 3; 07-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #6

Garage
Okay, finally pulled out the seat today. Everything was attached as it should be and there was nothing obviously wrong- until I pulled out the gas strut. That thing will not budge! Guess that would explain why the seat is stuck at the full-up position. Next up is to find a replacement strut and get it back together. Can't wait to sit at a more comfortable level!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #7

Garage
Picked up a used strut today from a local dismantler, and after installation I now have an adjustable drivers seat! Especially nice to do it for 1/3 the price of a new seat strut