Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

2003 Bose system problem

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 with bose sound system. The sound system works perfect in the morning or the first drive of the day, but if I drive for 20-30 minutes and turn off the engine and turn it back on, the head unit still works but no sound comes from any of the speakers.

If the day is really hot and I drove it for 1+ hr, the headunit turn on for a brief second and it will shut off.

What could be the problem? I'm thinking it can't be the amp since the headunit turns off if it's really hot outside.

Thoughts?

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #2

Here's my 2 cents...

I think its a heat realated issue OR a connection issue.
Trouble shooting tips:

1) Some morning when its nice and cool, turn yor ignition swich on without turning the car engine on. Turn the radio on and leave the volume in mid position. Leave it runing and monitor (by touch) the temperature of the amp in the trunk until it stops producing sound. The amp sould be warm to the touch BUT NOT HOT (this is normal). If it gets to hot within the time you have mention then a short in the amp or the next trouble shooting tip. Keep in mind that amps do have an overload/heat protection circuit built-in. If its not getting hot enough within the alloted time that you have mention, aid it by placing a heat gun or hair drier on the amp.

2) Losing sound to ALL the speakers can be narrowed down to wiring. Start by checking the wire harnest connected to the amp and work your way back. Remove the harnest and check the pins for corrosion or obstruction. Then look at the wires past the harnest for possible chaffing or cuts. If everything looks fine, then turn on the radio and place it in mid possition and shake the wire bundle and harnest by the amp.

If you're only losing sound to 1 side or 1 speaker, then that makes me think its the outputs of either the amp or the radio. The radio can still be the main problem, but these 2 quick tips can help issolate the problem and are easier to get to without opening up the dash.

P.S. If the overload/heat protection circuit is activated then the amp is on its way out. I would definately check for wiring that is causing this anomoly. Only you know your car and any changes its seen.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you any more.....
442nd986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442nd986s
I think its a heat realated issue OR a connection issue.
Trouble shooting tips:

1) Some morning when its nice and cool, turn yor ignition swich on without turning the car engine on. Turn the radio on and leave the volume in mid position. Leave it runing and monitor (by touch) the temperature of the amp in the trunk until it stops producing sound. The amp sould be warm to the touch BUT NOT HOT (this is normal). If it gets to hot within the time you have mention then a short in the amp or the next trouble shooting tip. Keep in mind that amps do have an overload/heat protection circuit built-in. If its not getting hot enough within the alloted time that you have mention, aid it by placing a heat gun or hair drier on the amp.

2) Losing sound to ALL the speakers can be narrowed down to wiring. Start by checking the wire harnest connected to the amp and work your way back. Remove the harnest and check the pins for corrosion or obstruction. Then look at the wires past the harnest for possible chaffing or cuts. If everything looks fine, then turn on the radio and place it in mid possition and shake the wire bundle and harnest by the amp.

If you're only losing sound to 1 side or 1 speaker, then that makes me think its the outputs of either the amp or the radio. The radio can still be the main problem, but these 2 quick tips can help issolate the problem and are easier to get to without opening up the dash.

P.S. If the overload/heat protection circuit is activated then the amp is on its way out. I would definately check for wiring that is causing this anomoly. Only you know your car and any changes its seen.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you any more.....
Thanks for your input.

1. I do believe it is a heat related issue, but here's the weird thing. I can listen to it for an hour without any problem, the problem only occurs when I turn off the head unit and turn it back on. After this, there will be no sound until everything 'cools down'.

BUT, this doesn't explain why I experienced(just 1 time so far) where the headunit would shut off too.. any ideas on that?
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

i have an 03 with bose and P.C.M. 2.0 and have had the same issues on hot days. usually if the car sits in the sun .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote