Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Having way too much fun with my 986S

I just bought my 2002 Boxster S back in March of this year and have already added nearly 6k miles, done 6 track days, and 6 autocross events!! The car has run extremely well with no break-downs or slow degradation evident from being driven this way and so far no leaks, overheating, odds noises or anything really so I'm very happy. Also, the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs are the best tire I've ever had; fantastic for street, autocross, and track! I do have a few questions for you guys because I'm not sure if my car has a couple of minor problems or I'm seeing some common faults of the Boxster:

1. Even though I've completely flushed the brake fluid twice, the brake fluid light comes on occasionally at the end of autocross runs or track sessions. The light goes right back out again after restarting the car and brake fluid is always at the full mark of the reservoir when I check it. Is this a sign that the fluid is boiling? I'm using ATE Gold.

2. I have trouble filling up the gas tank. I know this sounds weird but whenever I try to fill up the pump clicks off around 3/4 of a full tank. I can never fill the tank without having the pump click off 5-10 times but then I'm never sure when it's full.

3. Twice I've had a misfire code and CEL from cylinder #6. I changed all 6 spark plugs and the coil for that cylinder after the first time but it happened again. What else could it be? I've never seen a CEL for the full bank or all cylinders, just #6 and compression is excellent for all cylinders.

Thanks and here are some pics from Infineon this weekend!

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web110702b/94/index.html

Last edited by PorscheG96; 07-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.
PorscheG96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #2

The Boxster is 986. I can't address question 1. #2 I have experienced and solved by using the slowest fill rate at the pump. #3 I used to get that code and the secondary air injection code until I began giving the car 2 to 4 minute warm up and keepng the revs between 2K and 3K until the temp gets up to 180 degrees. And always drive far enough to get up to 180 berfore shutting it off. Since using this start / warm up technique no CEL at all.