Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #1

Brake pad replacement

Hello everyone. I am in the process of replacing my front brake pads but I cannot remove them with the shims in. I assume that I must pry them off first but I wanted to make sure there isn't a better way before I do that. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Jim

jlawrence54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #2

I had to remove the caliper form the rotor because there's a counter weight or anti squeal device fastened to the back of the shim that drops into a recess in the piston.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #3

The shims are stuck on with an adhesive. You should have bought new ones, but in the case you did not.....get one of your best kitchen knives. thin blade, small sharp, but long. Anyway, carefully seperate the backing from the pad trying not to bend it.
After you seperated the two, compress the pistons as usual, and apply new sealent of choice when you install the new pads.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote