Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central,NJ
Posts: 68
Speedster Humps installing problems...Help!

Said it should take about 2-3mins but for me its taking about um forever lol. I got most parts done but its the middle part where the straps have to go under my rear window and I can not get that up for the straps to go through. I like the humps but if it takes this long then they will be up 4sale soon for a hardtop! Please help so I dont have to install them my "ghetto" way(zip tied in the middle) lol

__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster S...Techart soon to be!
BMoney5327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: atlanta
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney5327
Said it should take about 2-3mins but for me its taking about um forever lol. I got most parts done but its the middle part where the straps have to go under my rear window and I can not get that up for the straps to go through. I like the humps but if it takes this long then they will be up 4sale soon for a hardtop! Please help so I dont have to install them my "ghetto" way(zip tied in the middle) lol
I remove the center wind deflector when im putting on the humps, and put it back
After i get the straps on.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central,NJ
Posts: 68
HOW did ya??? Thats the question lol...I didnt want to break it.
__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster S...Techart soon to be!
BMoney5327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: atlanta
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney5327
HOW did ya??? Thats the question lol...I didnt want to break it.
I think I just push on the tab and it slides out to the back. I would be careful because the plastic tabs could be brittle.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered User
 
embryoguy@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: pa
Posts: 418
no thats too much work. easier way is get a ruller. i actually use my old black boxster logo form the trunk and as im feeding the strap thru, im taking this logo and swiping it underneath, this will catch the strap than you can pull it thur.

you can use anything long and flat, ie ruler.

good luck!
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Registered User
 
embryoguy@mac.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: pa
Posts: 418
takes me a few mins to put my humps on.
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central,NJ
Posts: 68
Thanks guys....had it on for one day and had it for almost 2weeks(smh) Not too sure if I want to keep it or not. If anyone has guards red hit me up about my humps.
__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster S...Techart soon to be!
BMoney5327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Gforrest2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 308
I thought the same thing when I got mine. The first question I asked the seller was, do those things come off? But they've grown on me now and I like them. Kind of sets the car apart from other Boxsters. Yeah, they're a pain to take on and off, but I just leave mine on throughout the summer.
__________________
Glen
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central,NJ
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2
I thought the same thing when I got mine. The first question I asked the seller was, do those things come off? But they've grown on me now and I like them. Kind of sets the car apart from other Boxsters. Yeah, they're a pain to take on and off, but I just leave mine on throughout the summer.

Exactly! Car looks crazyyy good with the humps on and I get stares left and right! Just a pain right now at this point. I paid $750 painted for mine. My car is red so stands out lovely. I guess ill keep it till I save up enough money to buy a Zeintop(if they still sell em). Both will look badass with my techart kit im getting soon!
__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster S...Techart soon to be!
BMoney5327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Registered User
 
PorscheJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1
Garage
Red face Sppedster humps - front button straps?

I figured out how to Velcro the middle of the humps under the roll bar at the windstop, now what do I do with those front "buttons" Where do they go and attach?
PorscheJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Registered User
 
epapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 700
Garage
I think this thread deserves hump pictures...im interested
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Registered User
 
boxster6354's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 445
Garage
Another forum members ride.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,241
I need to find that edge stuff that I see in the pic above. Mine doesn't have it and it needs it.

Any idea where I can source it?

BTW, lots of hump pix of my car here: http://www.iwantaporsche.net/pixpage.htm
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: florida
Posts: 480
no velcro

i havent used the velcro in forever no problem any speed
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Registered User
 
boxster6354's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 445
Garage
Randall -

You might want to look at this on eBay, I will be picking this up in a couple of weeks to try on mine.

Black Edge Trim Seal for Car Doors Caravans Tractors Lids D001 per Foot | eBay

-Travis





Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I need to find that edge stuff that I see in the pic above. Mine doesn't have it and it needs it.

Any idea where I can source it?

BTW, lots of hump pix of my car here: http://www.iwantaporsche.net/pixpage.htm
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
2002 Boxster S
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PCA Roadrunner Region, NM
Posts: 306
Garage
These look really cool.

But do they DO anything, other than look cool and, maybe, keep leaves from falling on your folded top? Do they lower wind noise/buffeting, for example?
__________________
2009 Carrera S cabrio
ex-2002 Boxster S, Arctic Silver, Aerokit II
silver-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 2,486
I think the humps looks good when they are part of the rear deck, all one piece, like on the 987 Spyders. The removable ones for the 986's, to me, look like some crappy aftermarket add-on. I don't think they blend well with the lines of the car at all or enhance the look of it in any way whatsoever. And, from what I'm hearing, they are a real pain if you want to raise/lower your top on a semi-regular basis. I wouldn't have 'em if they were free.
__________________
'99 black 986
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Dave S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I think the humps looks good when they are part of the rear deck, all one piece, like on the 987 Spyders. The removable ones for the 986's, to me, look like some crappy aftermarket add-on. I don't think they blend well with the lines of the car at all or enhance the look of it in any way whatsoever. And, from what I'm hearing, they are a real pain if you want to raise/lower your top on a semi-regular basis. I wouldn't have 'em if they were free.
I don't care for the look either, but tell me, do you have to remove them to raise the top? If so, I really don't get it.
__________________
Dave S.
2003 Boxster S
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
petrol head
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United Kingdom, Stoke on Trent
Posts: 79
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Randall -

You might want to look at this on eBay, I will be picking this up in a couple of weeks to try on mine.

Black Edge Trim Seal for Car Doors Caravans Tractors Lids D001 per Foot | eBay

-Travis
Thought i would let people know that i use the edging in the link a lot at work. The edging is reinforced with steel or a very stiff plastic and therefore is hard to bend around corners and "Barbs" on the inside hold it in place and will mark the paint on the humps.
Any reputable rubber stockist (sellers of gaskets etc) will sell smooth, soft rubber
extrusions in many shapes and sizes and the soft rubber will not mark the paint on the deck lid.
Would hate to think you've scratched your paint work and i've said nothing
always porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
2002 Boxster S
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PCA Roadrunner Region, NM
Posts: 306
Garage
I repeat, do they do anything beyond looking vaguely like a 550?

__________________
2009 Carrera S cabrio
ex-2002 Boxster S, Arctic Silver, Aerokit II
silver-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page