Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf40
I’ve been reading this forum for 6 months to get educated on buying a 986 (2001-04 S). I’m still not 100% decided on the Porsche. My families Daily Drivers have all been Honda Accords and Civics. They are great cars, and I have a great independent Honda guy that I’ve been taking my cars to for 20 years.

The question for this esteemed group is: have any of you owned a Honda S2000? If so, what do you think about them? How do they compare to the Boxster (for those that have owned both)

My heart says Boxster, but my logical side says S2000. I believe the Honda would be more reliable, cheaper Total Ownership cost for a much newer one (2006-9), but still a blast to drive.

Your thoughts?
The S2000 is the smarter choice as it is more reliable, cheaper to maintain/fix, better on gas. It is also faster in a straight line.

But around the Top Gear Test Track, the Base 2.7L 2002-2003 Boxster was faster than the S2000 by about 0.2 seconds. Which means the boxster probably brakes better and handles slightly better. The Boxster is also more comfortable, more luxurious, quieter, comes with more features, and more practical with its two trunks. If you are looking at the Boxster S, it should be even better and beat the S2000 in acceleration as well.

If you can afford it, Boxster is the better car. But not by much. The S2K is still great.