Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #1

How do I put on a front license plate?

When I bought my car, front license plate was in the rear storage box. Previous owner never put it on.

However after getting a ticket last week, I want to put it on.. and there is a problem..
All I have on front bumper are two square holes.. I cann't fit a screw in there.

Do I need special screws or some kind of adapters? any pointers?

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #2

yes, there is a holder that you attach the plate onto that then screws into the holding "blocks" that are already on your car.

(no affiliation)
here's one:
http://www.pcars.com/porsche_parts/shop.php/porsche/boxster-/-s-986-/miscellaneous/license-plate-bracket-kit/p_2074.html

another option is to use a tow-hook mount that simply screws into the tow hook screw and doesn't require any changes to the front of the car.

(again no affiliation)
http://www.schattenbaum.org/TechArticles/FrontLicensePlateMountUsingTowHook.aspx

of course, you could always do what the PO did to my car, just drill holes into the bumper and screw the plate directly onto it...

i prefer no plate anyway so i just took it off and filled in the holes with the bumper plugs.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #3

Thanks Tony,

What are the holding "blocks" that I'm supposed to have already?

All I have are 2 square holes on my front bumper... Do I have to take the bumper off and put something from inside?

Sasha
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

There is a Porsche original kit for doing this. I have a brand new, still in the factory pakaging, kit. Let me know if you are interested. BTW, mine is for a 986; not sure if it will work on a 987.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

That kit is really poorly designed. Be sure to use your own screws with more girth to spread the blocks and make them secure the frame to the bumper cover. Mine fell off when my knee brushed against it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Thanks!,
Seventythree I sent you a pm about the kit.

Sasha
Old 06-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Thanks Tony,

What are the holding "blocks" that I'm supposed to have already?

All I have are 2 square holes on my front bumper... Do I have to take the bumper off and put something from inside?

Sasha
sorry. i misread your post. i thought "square holes" referred to the roughly square blocks that screw in to the holes. the plastic holder is then screwed into the blocks and the plate is screwed into the plastic holder - if i remember correctly.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

Garage
If you don't want to drill holes you might want to look at this product. I recently bought an AerokitII front bumper and I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in it. I found this on a google search and ordered it. It looks good but I have not installed it yet. I just painted it black this weekend and will probably install it soon. I love the look without the front plate, but I don't want to give the police a reason to pull me over.
http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #9

A suggestion: If you don't want to drill holes in your bumper, take a look at www.moweraxle.com. They have a neat little product that fits in you tow hook holder. I bought one for my Cayman and it is terrific. No affiliation.

Quote:
When I bought my car, front license plate was in the rear storage box. Previous owner never put it on.

However after getting a ticket last week, I want to put it on.. and there is a problem..
All I have on front bumper are two square holes.. I cann't fit a screw in there.

Do I need special screws or some kind of adapters? any pointers?

Thanks
Sasha
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #10

There are white fittings that plug into the square holes and allow you to put screws in
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #11

I prefer to temporarily affix........No Porsche should be shamed with that stupid front plate, even if it's brief.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #12

PM responded to.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
kpm

Quote:
That's where my front plate lives too. If I get stopped, I pull it out and ask the cop why they haven't caught the guy that backed into the front bumper and broke the plate holder, then drove off.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

I didn't get stopped, they don't stop you here for this.. however, when I parked the car, the cop who was checking if parking was paid gave me a ticket for license plate.

I wasn't there.. and license plate was on the dash.. didn't help

I'll just get the holder from sevetythree and put it on.

Thanks
Sasha
Old 09-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #15

Garage
You will have to find two white fittings that press into the square holes. The fittings will have a screw hole drilled in them.

I found my two fittings at Advanced Auto Parts. I bought the small package that contained assorted sizes . . . Around $3.
Joopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The mounting kit costs about $12 from any dealer.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote