Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Plastic rear window

Just wondering if anyone has removed the plastic window by removing the stitches? Besides letting rain in, will the fabric around the window change shape or will the window opening look the same less the plastic?
Thanks,
David

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Garage
Are you looking to replace the plastic with glass ? Or more plastic ? Something else?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Ditch the old top and get a replacement with glass rear window. It vastly improves the look, feel, and durability of the car. Just do it!

Most plastic rear window repair attempts end up looking like this:
http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/996-forum/435233d1271592717-cab-plastic-rear-window-separation-rear-window.jpg
Old 10-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

The plastic window is definitely under tension. The top would definitely change shape and would probably flap in the wind.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't get glass just because of the reduction in work space. No doubt it would better.
My roof is like brand new so it seems silly to replace. Oh, plus 101 has it at a five (or something) wrench job, which is above my current ability by 4 wrenches. I was thinking about taking out the old and somehow velcro ing from the inside a new stiff piece of plastic that I can pull out when top is going down. Just a thought, not sure if even possible but it seems dumb to put a new one on just to bend when closing.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

When this top is starting to wear out replace it with the glass top.
I'm sooooooo glad I did! Huge difference in looks and clarity even when compared to a brand new plastic window. The reduction in viewable area from inside the car is barely noticeable.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Get the glass window top. A pro installer will have it perfectly installed in one day and your car will look better than new. Every other choice is just way too ghetto. We have been around this block for 15 years.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #8

Cool Plastic window, replace

If you do a search on the pelican site, I posted there a year or so ago how I replaced the window.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't get glass just because of the reduction in work space. No doubt it would better.
My roof is like brand new so it seems silly to replace. Oh, plus 101 has it at a five (or something) wrench job, which is above my current ability by 4 wrenches. I was thinking about taking out the old and somehow velcro ing from the inside a new stiff piece of plastic that I can pull out when top is going down. Just a thought, not sure if even possible but it seems dumb to put a new one on just to bend when closing.
Thanks.
There's a video on youtube where a guy replaced his back window and it was a big job. You could have it professionally done but it probably would be cost prohibitive. I replaced mine with a German canvas one with the plastic window and paid around $390.00 with free shipping from Convertible Top Replacements | Auto Tops Direct Car Tops I think the price went up around $20.00, but I just bought it about 2 months ago. It was a bit of work but not to bad, and my skills are probably average. I was quoted $750.00 for labor from a local shop, so I saved that expense. I just drive my car in nice weather so I usually have the top down, another reason I went with the plastic window, but the glass one was only about $160.00 more.

Last edited by joecal; 10-19-2015 at 03:24 PM.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #10

I would certainly go glass but again, I do not like the idea of making the engine access area smaller. Thanks JoeCal, I will certainly take a look.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #11

You can buy the replacement plastic window alone, my canvas too is like new and plastic cracked on both sides

Porsche Boxster 986 Cabrio Hood - 9860541099 | Design 911
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
I do not like the idea of making the engine access area smaller.
This is just a non-issue. There is plenty of room to service AF and power steering pump with a simple strap to support the window glass in service mode. For major work in the top of the motor, simply remove 4 bolts that attach the top mechanism and lift off the whole top for complete and unfettered access. Easy as pie if you really want to get in there.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #13

"Easy as pie", your likely a 5 wrench. 😄 I am a 1.5 so it would likely take me a month.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Rear window

There's a guy selling VW parts online that sells a repair replacement plastic for $79 on EBay. Hansautoparts or something similar. Socal tops rarely go up so that's the route I'm going.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #15

Is that a DIY though? Have you done before?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #16

Rear plastic window

Yes, DIY replacement. I'm always accessing the engine bay for some mod so don't want to hamper access to it with glass. It's a PIA as it is.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #17

I had a new plastic window sewn in. I don't want limited access and a smaller rear/side view. No regrets!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
"Easy as pie", your likely a 5 wrench. �� I am a 1.5 so it would likely take me a month.
Don't be intimidated! Reduced engine access is truly a non-issue. As stated, you can remove the entire top/frame in about a half an hour if you needed extended access to the top of the motor. Although it may take you a little longer the first time you do it, it really is (on my car) 3 bolts and two small phillips head screws on each side. You get a buddy and lift the assembly up and off the car.

I access the top of my motor once a year to clean MAF, air filter and throttle body. All can be done by using the previously mentioned strap to hold the back of the top in place while performing the work.

PS.
I'd go broke taking my car to a professional mechanic for every little thing but I do appreciate their knowledge and ability being way beyond mine.
I'd also go broke if I tried to make a living being a professional mechanic....I'm not very good!

Last edited by dghii; 10-22-2015 at 06:49 PM.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #19

The supposed reduced visibility is overblown as well. The rear side visibility in these cars is so bad to begin with (true for nearly every convertible ever made) that you can't even tell that the window is smaller. The only reduced visibility that I've noticed (and is even in view at all) is at the top where it matters the least. The clarity of the view through the glass over the plastic more than makes up for that.