Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #1

Added HP?

Wonder how Porsche added 20 or so HP and a little torque from the 2001 model I have to the 2005? Still 2.7 liters. Anybody know?
Similar, is there anything much to be gained from some of the aftermarket air intakes/filters? They claim improved breathing but how do you know -
just wondering - coulda used a little more torque on the straights (no razz from the s guys please)

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #2

Talking

This month's Excellence Magazine has an article on just that exact topic. I will re-read it later today and summarize the changes.

In short, I don't think the aftermarket is going to get you to 240HP on a 2.7 but if that is their claim, then of course, they should dyno guarantee it!!!!

:dance:
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #3

Question Hey Limoncello...

check your private messages, or send me an email.

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:51 AM   #4

Talking

According to the June edition of Panorama magazine the changes to the engines were as follows:

Total redo of the exhaust system. The exhaust pipes are now routed to the wheel well area and back.

The engine now uses the new LSU wideband Lambda probes, pre-cat converter.

These probes provide more precise feedback to the engine CPU.

These new sensors are also used post cat.

That is what I have so far.

Hard to say how likely it would be to duplicate this if one were an aftermarket company.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:28 AM   #5

thanks BruceLee. The long straight at CMP is slightly uphill, and as soon as I would make the 3-4 shift it felt like the car was working to accelerate beyond 100. This morning I was looking at the owner's manual at the engine curves, and sure enough, 4th is much flatter than 3rd. The curves on the S with 6 speed stay steeper longer. Not complaining - I love the car and am still in awe of how it behaves on the track. The 987 changes sound hard to replicate - except maybe for the exhaust.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #6

Yes, I suppose an aftermarket maker could copy the structure of the new exhaust. I wonder on the sensors, and of course, there are the software changes.

Then, there are the changes they don't or won't tell us about!

240HP is a lot of HP from a normally aspirated car with 168 CI or so.

Yet, Excellence Magazine implies that there are more HP increased coming in later years from both engines.

Hmmm!