986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mystery Switch (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29112)

MTO 06-01-2011 06:17 AM

Mystery Switch

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 2000 986 that i bought used about a month ago from a broker that didn't know much about the vehicle. I found what appears to be an aftermarket dual rotary switch on the side wall near the accelerator. The outer dial is a two position on/off switch and the inner dial is like a volume dial (see photo - A). When I turned it - on the lights on the B (red) /C (green) blink and light up. There is also an audible beeping noise that sounds like a radar detector. After a few seconds the red lights go out and the green light remains illuminated - and the beep continues every few seconds. I soon loose my nerve and power it off - fearing it is a 007 ejection seat or something.
So I'm thinking a radar detector?? Nothing else seems to be different about the car when its on. Any ideas???

thstone 06-01-2011 08:53 AM

The controls sound like a radar detector - on/off button + sensitiviity control + status lights + beeps.

If its a radar detector, you should be able to find the receiver in/under/around the front bumper somewhere. Take a really close look and see what you find.

Alternatively, follow the wires from the footwell switch up under the center console and try to figure out where they go...

Johnny Danger 06-01-2011 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The switch was part of an experimental roadside assistance program that Porsche secretly tested on a few boxsters quite some years ago . Code named An Sterne, I'm the only person known to still have a functioning device .

JD
p.s. Just to be safe, I'd check your cup holders for fluoride residue .

kabel 06-01-2011 06:43 PM

"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room!"

Lil bastard 06-02-2011 04:56 AM

It's a switch for a K-40 stealth radar detector.

Depending upon the series, this can be a good thing... or next to useless.

Either 2 LEDs have been added to the dash (as in your case), or 2 factory warning lights are comandeered for the indicators.

The switch is ON/Off/Sensitivity and the outer is volume control.

You will have the control unit mounted either under the dash or in the frunk and also will have the actual sensors located behind the bumper covers.

go to k40dotcom for more info.

Cheers!

MTO 06-02-2011 08:08 AM

Perfect - thanks!

Box on 19's 06-02-2011 05:06 PM

That is a K40 Undetectable Radar Detector.. The 2 Led's are for front and rear detection. The knob on the side does.. ON/OFF, CITY/HIGHWAY, And Volume..

If the system chirps once every 2 to 3 seconds.. You've got a problem with the front sensor.. If it Chips twices every 2 to 3 seconds.. You've got a problem with the rear sensor..

Could possibly just be the sensor is unpluged or you got a loose wire somewhere.. Replacement sensors retail for around $400.. and K40 is located in the burbs of Chicago near Elgin.

I used to be an installer and I've got the same system in my 99.. Let me know if you need some other help or a wiring diagram..

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTO
I have a 2000 986 that i bought used about a month ago from a broker that didn't know much about the vehicle. I found what appears to be an aftermarket dual rotary switch on the side wall near the accelerator. The outer dial is a two position on/off switch and the inner dial is like a volume dial (see photo - A). When I turned it - on the lights on the B (red) /C (green) blink and light up. There is also an audible beeping noise that sounds like a radar detector. After a few seconds the red lights go out and the green light remains illuminated - and the beep continues every few seconds. I soon loose my nerve and power it off - fearing it is a 007 ejection seat or something.
So I'm thinking a radar detector?? Nothing else seems to be different about the car when its on. Any ideas???