Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Hankook Ventus EVO K110 Tires

I have a 2004 Porsche Boxster S and need to replace the tires. I am considering Hankook Ventus EVO K110 Tires as my Michelin Pilots are quite noisy. Does any member have experience with the Hankook tires mentioned above? I do not think the Hankook tires are on the Porsche approved tire list. I do mostly highway and city driving and the Boxster is my daily driver.

jimjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #2

Garage
Continental DW, best tire I hav ever used. Rated number 1 on TireRack.
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

Garage
+1 on the Continental Extreme Contact DW. I liked the OEM Pilot Sports but wanted to save a little money to spend elsewhere on the car. I have over 2000 miles on them so far and they have been great. I sure don't feel like I lost any performance.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #4

using those hankook tires now. no problems thus far, but saved essentially half the price of the other recommended ones.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #5

I know this isn't exactly the tire that you asked about, BUT, on Saturday I ran a brand new set of Hankook RS-3's at the track and I thought they were fantastic after the first session.
They never got greasy as the sessions went on and never broke loose unexpectedly.
They're too good to waste on street driving.

I've got Michelin AS's for street tires but when they go, I'm putting Hankook's on for the street.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

hankook evo v12

They are excellent tires. Stick like glue, great in the wet. I've got 15k on mine, the rears will go another 15k, fronts 20k. Daily driver, no snow/frozen precip.
They are rocks under 40F, most highperf summer tires are.

2000S w/18s, 225frnts, 265rears
jssnoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #7

the hankooks v12 evos are a good tire at a great price . hard to beat. 60 dollar rebate too.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #8

I have the Faulken 912's on mine and are great year round tire for hot and rainy weather, like in Florida.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #9

All aboard the Ventus V12 evo K110 train...

My Yoko S.Drive's are nearly shot, and after reading some glowing reviews, I'm in for a set of these. This Sunday's AX will be the end of the line for my Yokohamas.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

The new Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the highest rated tire in the Max Performance Summer category when compared with the Bridgestone Potenza S-04, Continental ExtremeContact DW, and the Pirelli P Zero. The Pilot Super Sports reach 1.07g dry cornering grip.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

The Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 isn't even close to any of the tires in the above group (all of which exceed 1.0g cornering grip) whereas the VentusV12 only generates 0.90g of dry cornering grip.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=149

If you're looking for value, the V12's might very well be a good choice in terms of performance/price. However, you should also look at the Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Kumho Ecsta SPT, and the Yokohama S.drive which are comparably priced yet perform somewhat better than the V12's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=97
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-02-2011 at 07:52 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #11

Hankook Ventus RS-3 or Dunlop Star Specs are the best high performance tires for the money.

Hankooks are a little more heat tolerant, Star Specs are a little better in the wet.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #12

I now run Yoko S Drives, great tires I might add. Before these Yoko's I had Hankooks and they were the worst tires I've ever had on a performance car. They're cheaply made Chinese tires. Quality tires are made in the US or Japan. If I were trying to save money on something for my Boxster, I wouldn't cut corners on tires. Use the $3 Turtle wax car wash instead of the $13 Griot's Garage.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #13

My buddy has been running Hankook Ventus V12's on his boxster at the track and flogging them hard.

According to him, these tires don't seem to hold up as well as PS2s or other 2x more expensive brands that are more well known. He has a crack in the center of all four tires although he's got quite a lot of tread left.

I'm planning to buy them myself anyway. They're half the price and I don't go to the track and kill a set of tires every three or four months, so I'm sure they will perform well enough for my use.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
Hankook Ventus RS-3 or Dunlop Star Specs are the best high performance tires for the money.

Hankooks are a little more heat tolerant, Star Specs are a little better in the wet.
What he said. This is common knowledge in street tire racing circles, only tire I would add to that is the Toyo R1R which is better in the cold than either of those. I have the Hankook R-S3 on my Boxster S daily driver.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #15

My 2 cents worth

I'm putting on a set of the Hankook V12's on tomorrow. I don't track my 2000 Box and don't intend to. I don't daily drive my car so these should last 15 to 20 k which is 2 to 3 years of driving. For that I will save the bucks.
fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to ABQautoxer
Sounds good. You should report back after some time with them, I'm sure other owners would like some feedback on those.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #17

Which Hankooks did you have, and why didn't you like 'em?

Just for kicks, I'll point out that Hankook is a Korean company, not Chinese (in fact, "Hankook" means "Korea" in Korean). True, they manufacture tires in China. So does Pirelli. And BFG. And Yokohama. Hankook provides tires for a number of open-wheel, closed-wheel, and rally racing series... suggesting that everything they make is crap seems a bit of a generalization.

But I would like to hear more about your experience with the tires on your Boxster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
I now run Yoko S Drives, great tires I might add. Before these Yoko's I had Hankooks and they were the worst tires I've ever had on a performance car. They're cheaply made Chinese tires. Quality tires are made in the US or Japan. If I were trying to save money on something for my Boxster, I wouldn't cut corners on tires. Use the $3 Turtle wax car wash instead of the $13 Griot's Garage.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 08-05-2011 at 05:25 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote