Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #1

top cleaner / treatment

Some birds dive bombed my black soft top (2006 Boxster).

I had the car professionally detailed, but I don't know what those SOBs had eaten, because there still are white-ish bleached looking spots on the top.

Recommend any cleaner / treatment for the top, to get rid of those spots and restore a uniform black look to the top?

Renn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #2

Ragg Topp

Use the Ragg Topp Cleaner. Use a quality, soft cleaning brush. I use a leather cleaning brush. Let dry for a couple days. If spots are not gone, rewash again. Let dry again a couple days. If spots gone, vacuum, tape roller, and vacuum again. Then apply 3-4 light coats of Ragg Topp Protectant. Each coat needs about 20-30 minutes dry time between coats. Spray a coat, then take a nice high quality paint brush, and brush into the fabric top. Let dry. Vacuum. Repeat.

A couple thin, cheap, plastic painters tarps come in handy. As does some 2 inch blue painters tape for masking off areas. Wipe the rear glass off after each coat. When completely done, give the rear window a good cleaning (1 part denatured alcohol to 2 parts distilled water, spray on window only cloth, wash window, polish dry with seperate towel).

My 2006 Cocoa top looks as good (even better) since the day she was born, even after 40,000 miles. And a few Concours wins.

As a tip, always carry a spray bottle of distilled water with your car. If you see a bird bomb, you car hit it with the spray bottle, and avoid issues later. Works on the top and paint.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact Rick at Ragg Topp at rick@wolfsteins.com. Good guy.

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 05-28-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #3

Garage
Second the ragg top product. It's great even on my 10 year old top and 100,000 miles. The stuff is amazing and easy to use.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

I had very good service from the Aerospace 303 kit for canvas tops.
The car is garaged, but I did it 3 years ago and it still repels moisture like it's coated with plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-Convertible-Top-Kit/dp/B000A8JNF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1306715681&sr=1-1
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #5

Garage
had the same problem

I've always used raggtopp on my convertibles but I had a nasty bird pood stain a few years ago that I couldn't get out. Finally tried a product called "poop-off" for all avian related stains. I got it at Petsmart or Petco or one of those big box pet stores. It worked! Just a thought...

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
I've always used raggtopp on my convertibles but I had a nasty bird pood stain a few years ago that I couldn't get out. Finally tried a product called "poop-off" for all avian related stains. I got it at Petsmart or Petco or one of those big box pet stores. It worked! Just a thought...

sean
Great info!
They also have a pet stain remover for carpets (Folex) that worked really well when our pooch (80 lb.) was on steroids and antibiotics.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #7

+2 on RaggTopp, and I also use the RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush from Autogeek to clean the top before treatment.

-Callahan-
Harold_Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #8

When it comes time to retreat the canvas, I hose my top down and use a wet, soapy lint-free microfiber cloth to wash away any spots. Then I let it dry thoroughly (a day or two), obsessively mask off a ridiculous amount of my car with kraft paper and painter's tape, and use the Porsche top treatment to re-waterproof it. My 8-year-old top still looks like new.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 05-31-2011 at 04:36 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote