Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

NooB Question. Tonneau cover not closing all the way

I just picked up a 2003 Boxster S and noticed the back edge, near the 3rd brake light, of the tonneau cover does not sit all the way down flush with the body with the top down. There is still a 1/4 edge to go. Is this common? It is more noticeable on the passenger side.

unhcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #2

Can you post a pic?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

I can. But basically once the top is down. I have to get out and push down the passenger side rear corner of the cover 1/4 of an inch to be flush with the body. It is corner closest to the rear tire.
unhcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhcampus
I can. But basically once the top is down. I have to get out and push down the passenger side rear corner of the cover 1/4 of an inch to be flush with the body. It is corner closest to the rear tire.
It sounds like your convertible top transmissions are not synchronized.

You can remove one of the drive cables from the side of the electric motor and spin the inner cable by putting it in a cordless drill (on the lowest torque setting) until you get both sides to be equidistant from the forward edge (near left and right corner) of the rear trunk.

Then, plug the drive cable back into the side of the electric motor, press the upside-down u-clip back down to lock the cable in place and test the operation of the clamshell cover. It should now be perfectly even.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote