Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #1

rear tires

I have a 2007 Boxster S. It's due for rear tires. I have a local tire shop that does my other cars. Is there anything special about balancing so that I could go to them instead of Porsche dealer?

barrygou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #2

Ask them

What machine they use to balance the tires. If they can use inside paste-on weights instead of the bang-on old style lead weights that show from the outside. How much they charge.

Then on the day you deliver the car and in front of the shop, take pictures of your wheels so you have documentation of their condition when you delivered them.

I have my local tire shop do my mounting.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Additional comment on weights...

Taking pictures is great advice. I made the mistake of relying on a local tire service manager's 'word' that they could easily handle the rear rims on my Boxster without damage, and ended up with edge and spoke scuffs for my trouble.

Just to clarify the wheel weight advice - if you're not familiar with the various types of wheel weights, the Boxster rims 'must' use the inside paste-on weights. If you get anything other than an 'Of course', I would highly recommend that you try another tire shop.

Still, no reason to use the dealer for tires, just make sure you're comfortable that the tire shop is competent with Porsche rims.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
What machine they use to balance the tires. If they can use inside paste-on weights instead of the bang-on old style lead weights that show from the outside. How much they charge.

Then on the day you deliver the car and in front of the shop, take pictures of your wheels so you have documentation of their condition when you delivered them.

I have my local tire shop do my mounting.
machone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

Certainly not a necessity but if you want absolute top shelf find a shop with a road force balancer.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #5

A quick question for all

Would 255/35R18 be an acceptable replacement for my rear tyres which is of course 265/35R18 from the factory?

Tyres in question is ContiSportContact 3, its a brand new pair I happen to have. Would they be acceptable for the rear?

panameras is offline   Reply With Quote